• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Carbon and Indian Almond Leaves?

Lucky7777

I currently use Indian almond leaves in my 50 gallon for my leaf bed. My fish love the leaf bed but I'm not sure if I still like the black water look.

My question is when adding carbon to the filter ( which I don't normally have in there) will it only removes the tannins or will it also remove the anti fungal/antibacterial properties that the leaves release. Will they still keep pH lower?

I like it lighter but don't want to remove the bed of leaves since the cory's and dwarves seem to love them so much.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Good quality activated carbon will remove most organics, including the ones you want to keep. I stopped using carbon as a chemical filter decades ago. The cost doesn't justify the results. Good tank maintenance (proper feeding and regular water changes) are much less expensive and more effective.

Lucky7777

Good quality activated carbon will remove most organics, including the ones you want to keep. I stopped using carbon as a chemical filter decades ago. The cost doesn't justify the results. Good tank maintenance (proper feeding and regular water changes) are much less expensive and more effective.

I understand, I only use carbon if I ever needed to remove meds from the water. I was only going to use it to remove tannins if it left everything else behind, but since my fish love the leaves so much I decided to tale the carbon out earlier to day and throw a few more leaves in. Back to the black water :)

Jacco

There are other options, when you don't like black water. Teak leaves make the water a little yellow instead of brown ([eople claim it has a simalar effect as almond leaves). And also "white" peat (peat moss) leaves less color than the older brown peat.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
but since my fish love the leaves so much I decided to tale the carbon out earlier to day and throw a few more leaves in. Back to the black water
I think that is the answer, I don't think you can remove all the colour and still benefit from the humic compounds. I also think that the grazing surfaces provided by dead leaves definitely aid fry survival.

We had a bit of a discussion on humic compounds a while ago in this thread, it is well worth a read: <http://www.apistogramma.com/forum/index.php?threads/ok.12048/>.

cheers Darrel

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….