• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

can i add some corys?

chris1805

5 Year Member
Lately i have been thinking about adding a few corydora's. The problem is don't really know the minimum amount i should get and if it will be alright in my tank. I know they eat eggs and i really don't mind since i got a community tank. The problem is that i had 3 octo's before with my A Agassizii but they killed them all 3. Could this happen to the corydora's as well?

The sizes 60x40x60cm containing 120L
current stock of fish
- 7 nannostomus eques
-6 marble hatchers
-1 pair copella arnoldi
-1 pair A. Agassizii
-1 pair A. Macmasteri

I don't really know if the tank is fully stocked already. I was thinking about adding 5 corydora's would this be a good idea?

The water parameters
- ph 6.7
- kh 2
- temp 25/77

The tank is quite fully stocked with plants and wood, i can add a photo later on if that would help.

Thanks in advantage :)

sorriva99

I think that this tank is overpopulated, the agassizi are lot more aggressive than macmasteri and in anyway the tank is small for 2 pair IMHO

chris1805

5 Year Member
I know the space is not ideal, but they do really great together. No fins nipped and no abnormal aggression, ofcourse they do chase but nothing more than they do against the nannostomus eques. I made sure the lines of sights are broken and there are plenty of hiding spots.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Apisto females with fry to protect will attack corys in the only place not armored - the eyes. If you don't mind the chance of blind, eyeless corys then try it. Right now your tank is really too small for 4 cichlids unless it is so 'clogged' with visual obstructions that the fish can never see each other. You might get lucky and keep the 2 pair in this tank together. More often than not, when the fish fully mature and start breeding expect mayhem.

chris1805

5 Year Member
Blind corys sound really sad, so not going to try that. Right now the agassizii female got eggs with should hatch today i think. The agassizii are close to being fully mature i think. The macmasteri are still young and are way faster actually. The macmasteri are wild caught ones and the agassizii's are tank bred. I see lots of different behaviour between them and the macmasteri are way better in hiding, but they are also more peacefully. Things may change when the macmasteri are getting close to full maturity as well and if things get bad i will remove 1 pair.

How about a males only tank mike? how many males do you think i could have in here without females? i heard somebody about 10 males in a 100x40cm space but i could be wrong.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I wouldn't add the Cories.

"The problem is that i had 3 octo's before with my A Agassizii but they killed them all 3".

Interesting, I found that the even the female fry guarding Apistogramma largely ignored any Otocinclus, and didn't seem to regard them as fish.

cheers Darrel

chris1805

5 Year Member
Hm that's interesting. Mine really did not accept them within a 15cm radius arround her batch of fry last time. The only one who was allowed, was the agassizii male. Or well allowed may not be the right word. She tried to chase him away, he just would not go..

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
How about a males only tank mike? how many males do you think i could have in here without females? i heard somebody about 10 males in a 100x40cm space but i could be wrong.

It really depends on how the tank is decorated and which apisto species you want in it. Your tank is relatively small. I wouldn't put in more than 3, maybe 4 if really densely decorated properly, long term.

chris1805

5 Year Member
Thanks mike, was thinking about that in case this is not going to work out. Thought myself 3 or 4 males would be possible just needed some confirmation for someone who had a bit of experience with this :)

rr16

5 Year Member
If you want cories then I have found that a group of 5 C. pygmaeus in my 1mx 0.3m tank works well. Out of several species of apisto I've had in there in the past, none seem to have bothered them and they are not as boisterous as the larger cories that swim around the bottom a lot. They also don't tend to stay on the bottom at all in mine and live higher up amongst bogwood, swimming around the tank at mid-level. This is, however my experience and may not work for others. I would say try it at your own risk!

chris1805

5 Year Member
Thanks for the tip rr16 :) I am going to purchase some LED lighting system for my birthday may 5th. When i got them i will also rescape the tank a bit, will see how things go after that before adding anything new :)

wreidfishguy

I love Cory cats as much as I do dwarf cichlids and apistogramma the best way to mix the 2 is to use lots of plants and driftwood and every one gets along

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….