• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Cacatuoides behaviour for a Beginner

ButtNekkid

5 Year Member
Hi,

I just bought my first 2 Apistogramma 3 days ago.

I have never seen such interesting behaviour and I´ve kept tanks for 20 years!
The sand shifting and disputes are really interesting to follow.

But I have no idea whether they are disputing over territories or are spawning.
The dominant one is flcking it´s tail and backing in to the other one.
Yesterday they went in to the coconut shell 4 times in a row, that i had placed on the bottom.
Why would they do that if they are fighting over dominance/territory?

They are also quite colourless when fighting.

The submissive fish is mostly at the top of tank or behind a skeletonized leaf in a corner.
Should I put him in my main tank even if the quarantine is not over yet if things get worse?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
An apisto that is hiding at the top of the tank is being bullied. It would be best to separate them before stress results in illness for the bullied fish. I wouldn't put it in an established community tank until you're confident it is healthy. You might consider putting a partition in the quarantine tank. It could help them get accustomed to each other.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
If it's a typical quarantine tank, just split the tank in half with a tank partition. You can buy them at pet store or even make your own if your into that kind of thing.

ButtNekkid

5 Year Member
Hi,

I´m sorry if I seem a bit dense, but before this, I have never heard or seen such a thing. You live and learn!

Thinks have settled down in quarantine tank. Both are at the bottom and there is still some showing off.
It helped to rescape the tank.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….