• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Cacatuoides and Kribensis compatibility

slightlyhector

i have a 29 gallon aquarium with a pair of double red cockatoos, it has several caves and the ph is at 7.2 is it possible to house a pair of kribensis with them or would they compete for the territory?

If not is it possible to add some Agassizi to the tank?

dfea

5 Year Member
I certainly would not add a pair of Kribs in that size of a tank. You are correct in that they would compete and would without a doubt win leaving you without your Apistos.

- Dan

tompoz

I support what Dan wrote. And would also not recommend adding agassizii to that tank. I have a pair of Papagei and a pair of agassizii in a 55 gallon tank, heavily rooted and planted - it is fine but territorial fights still happen every few days.
You may consider adding another cockatoo female, or maybe two.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
A 29-gallon aquarium looks a lot bigger than it is. The floor dimensions are the key fro dwarf cichlids, and this tank has the same base area as a 20L. I have to agree that putting a pair of kribs in with your apistos will cause problems. Before adding a second species of apisto, try adding one or two more female cacatuoides. You will see a lot more cichlid activity, and the male will spawn with all the females as a harem. You can increase the overall activity in the tank by putting in a couple schools of small tetras. I suggest a group of three of a medium-size showy species (such as emperor tetras) and a group of 7 smaller, active schooling species (such as neons, cardinals, glowlights or ember tetras). The presence of the apistos and larger emperor tetras will keep the smaller tetras in a school most of the time, which looks great.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….