• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Breeding splash tetras....

rr16

5 Year Member
Just counted about 70 fry in my tub. I hope I manage to keep a decent amount alive.

Tom C

5 Year Member
Just counted about 70 fry in my tub... I hope I manage to keep a decent amount alive.
Great! :):):)
One small water change every day, an "air stone", infusoria several times a day until they'll take newly hatched BBS, and you'll probably end up with 60+! :D

rr16

5 Year Member
Let's hope so. Only in a small take away plastic tub at the moment though. Been using a turkey baster to do daily water changes. Am considering putting them in a breeding net in the main tank.

rr16

5 Year Member
Re-homed them now. Hope this works. I had a sponge filter but it's too big for the 10litre tank so dug out an old airstone. Got to keep it in the cupboard under my big tank so rigged up a low wattage bulb too. Seem some semi-shoaling already.

Attachments

• DSC_0282.JPG
    DSC_0282.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 475

rr16

5 Year Member
The other day I noticed one of my amazon sword leaves partly emersed so I pulled it out completely to expose it to the air. This morning I was wondering whether the splash tetras would lay on it or not.
Tonight I took this photo (top leaf).

Attachments

• DSC_0329.JPG
    DSC_0329.JPG
    946 KB · Views: 496

rr16

5 Year Member
Where the splash tetras play.

Attachments

• DSC_0334.JPG
    DSC_0334.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 487

rr16

5 Year Member
I since have new splash tetrasand they spawn every two to four days!

rr16

5 Year Member
Che
Ers, but I just lost about 50 fry between 1 and 2 months old. The tank looks a bit differet these days too!

rr16

5 Year Member
A few from today. It
It's in the cellar now

Attachments

• DSC_0046.JPG
    DSC_0046.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 404
  • DSC_0047.JPG
    DSC_0047.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 399
  • DSC_0048.JPG
    DSC_0048.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 404
  • DSC_0049.JPG
    DSC_0049.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 403

rr16

5 Year Member
And some more.

Attachments

• DSC_0051.JPG
    DSC_0051.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 395
  • DSC_0053.JPG
    DSC_0053.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 382
  • DSC_0054.JPG
    DSC_0054.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 372
  • DSC_0056.JPG
    DSC_0056.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 394
  • DSC_0055.JPG
    DSC_0055.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 384

rr16

5 Year Member
I have two 4ft T5 fluorescent tubes and two led floodlamps (Iforget the wattage). They're set so the right hand flood comes on, followed by one tube, then the other, then the lefthand flood, then the right goes off, followed by tubes and then left.

rasmusW

5 Year Member
What a great read so far.. i have just got some copella callolepis (-Tom was kind enough to correct me on the species naming)..
i have seen a bit of sparring between a few of them, so i hope that when i learn more about them, i too can tell of my experience in breeding them.

-r

rr16

5 Year Member
Glad there's another Copella fan out there: they're a great genus. As a note, I have had C. compta breed on floating sycamore leaves recently too!

rr16

5 Year Member
It was floating and a bit wedged into place near the surface. They spawn on the upper side of surfaces less than 1cm below the water level: this has included bogwood, glass ledge where I overfilled so water was about half a cm above the ledge, floating dried leaves (just below the surface), Hydrocotyle leucocephala leaves, Epipremnum (submerged) leaves, Indian fern leaves and floating plant pot trays with holes in the sides.

rasmusW

5 Year Member
hey guys!

an hour or so ago i witnessed what i think was spawning behaviour, though i don't see any eggs..
is it normal for splash tetras to some sort of foreplay or so, before going into the real deal?

if i get eggs this close to the surface (-the sword leaf is just below the surface and leaning up against the front glass, so i got to see all the action), what do i do about water changes? -do they tolerate to get out of the water for whatever brief period it takes to change water?

IMG_0205_2.jpg
IMG_0202_2.jpg
IMG_0208_2.jpg

-so what do you guys think? -could this be a spawn?
do c. callolepis loose the black band when in the mood?

ps. sorry for the crappy pictures.. -i blame my phone.

-r

rr16

5 Year Member
It certainly looks like pre-spawning behaviour. When they spawn, the male and female will move side by side, making almost an 's' shape with their bodies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….