• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

biototecus sp tapajos

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Biotoecus opercularis is reported to come from the Amazon drainage between the Rio Xingu & the Rio Negro. The Rio Tapajós fits in this distribution. Do your fish look different from B. opercularis?

Rolo

5 Year Member
I saw both species a few weeks ago and made some photos, but I wasnt't able to scan them yet. If I have the time to do that, I will post them here, but it could take a while....

greetings,
Rolo

Rolo

5 Year Member
but as I heard, it's still not clear, if they are two different species or not.
It seems, that the B. sp. "Tapajós" are just a local form of B. opercularis.
But we have to wait for more informations, I think.

greetings,
Rolo

apistodave

Staff member
5 Year Member
tapajos

Weirdest thing happened when I brought a bunch of these back from Germany last year. When they were in Uwes tanks they were fine. After I got them home (about 100) I looked at them and they're rear ends from just behind the dorsal fin had curved straight up in the air about 45 degrees! I thought they were damaged in transit. I put them in a holding tank and after a day or two their tails straightened out! So-I shipped some out to customers and got letters back saying that they were injured and their tails were broken! I told everyone to wait a day or two and sure enough they all straightened out!!!!!!!!!!

Fisherking

5 Year Member
Hi, I have red about these fish in all my dwarf chiclids books, but it dosen`t make me any smarter at the subject. I think I have one pair left of the 4 I bought. They seem to get along find(but my diplotaenia widow seems to hate them so she is out). I willtry to breed them but I don`t know what kind of waterparameters I should use. They are in ph 5.8 and dh below 1. Is this ok???different books say anything from 5-7pH.

Deedoo

5 Year Member
Hello all !

I had the two forms and I can say that they are quite different to me ! The Biotoecus opercularis I had where more pink than the 'sp Tapajos' which is more green and less colored. My english is quite bad so please if you don't understand what I mean, please feel free to ask me more details :wink:
I succeeded in having two spawns of my opercularis but no hatch :oops: :cry: (My female seemed to not accept the male so I think the eggs were not fertilized). I lost them during the scorching heat of the summer, 2003 :cry: :cry: I had my 'sp Tapajos' in winter (2 males an 1 female) but my female died before arriving at home :cry: :cry: And my males died few months later :cry: :cry:
That's the only experience I can tell you about Biotoecus but I hope to have some 'sp Tapajos' at the end of the month.

Deedoo

http://forum.apistogramma.com/viewtopic.php?t=1227 --> another topic about my Biotoecus

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
loscide

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….