• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Big Problem on the homefront.

RHS788

5 Year Member
OK, I know there are a lot of true scientist-types in the hobby, and I need your input. Unfortunately I could never add 2 + 2 in a few words...

I have in operation a 55 gallon, 3 10's, and 4 2.5 gallon aquariums in my basement, in a finished room (large room). Our bedroom is directly above the area where the aquariums are located, but the ceiling vents from the basement are closed. My wife has been having allergy problems the past few days.

My wife is allergic to a number of things and mold is one of her big issues. She said that she went into the basement this evening, and right away her eyes started watering, which is one of those signs. I did break a 10 gallon about 3 weeks ago, but cleaned and dried it and I thought all was OK. (I lifted the carpet and pad, used the supersucker, and ran a fan for a couple days). I don't know if this is the problem, or if the running aquariums are a problem.

Anyway, without calling out the local environmentalists and paying thousands, how can I determine if the aquariums are causing a problem, and what can I do about it, short of :eek: getting rid of the aquariums.

She has no problem with me keeping them, we even joke about the "second family". I did tell her that maybe if I take them all outside and give them a good cleaning that will help (aquariums, not fish).

I did even consider it to be food, etc. that builds up before filter changes, and not siphoning off the bottom enough. Yes I do have a habit of keeping too many fish in the tanks which leads to overfeeding.

Right now I probaby have 40 triple-red fry about 4 months old, 60-80 small orange blaze, 60-80 small triple-red, and a bunch of albino cats. That in addition to about 20 adults (variety), that I am about to reduce by selling many to the LFS.

I have been trying to raise rams for years, and finally this evening noticed some wigglers. This hobby is addicting.

I also just bought the metal to build a stand for 6 10 gallon, and 4 2.5 gallon aquariums. I hate it but I think I need to hold off. Oh, by the way, I also bought an excellent 55 for $30., and I have Whisper filters for it from ebay. I was going to set it up for a "grow-out" tank. I don't want to be a "breeder" but know that I will need space to keep this cycle going.

I can't see any mold anywhere, but question if there are any issues. What suggestions does anyone have to keep these potential issues at a minumum.

Last summer, I kept a 55 gallon, and the two 10's, and didn't seem to have any issues. But then I expanded. If nothing else, I will sell all except for a trio of rams in a 55 gal, which would hurt.

Thanks for reading my boring email, and I appreciate any advice; I need some viable solutions, otherwise, it has been nice corresponding with you all.

Randy

bigbird

5 Year Member
Morning,

Well it sounds like you do have an issue with the evaporation and stangnant air in the basement. Irrespective how well you cleaned up you spill, you will always have water evaporating from all of your tanks, thus having humidity in your room. Humidity does cause mould and mildue. This is basically due to warmth, humidity and no air movement. Mould can also be invisible.
In my view you have 3 options.
1. Build an air outlet valve from your basement to the outside and attach on the outside a solar panel air extractor or electric one
2. By a machine similar to an airconditioner, however this dehumidifier takes away humidity, you will then on a regular basis have to remove the water that is collected
3. Get some air flow into the basement with a fan or open door, thus preventing pockets of stagnant air remaining in the room.

I however ask myself why have you closed the ceiling vents ? They are there for a purpose ? Also it seem that you have had your tanks for a while, so why does your wife only now have this problem ? Maybe your wife is allergic to the metal paint or metal finish for your rack ?

Ok this is a start. Await your replies. cheers jk :biggrin:

RHS788

5 Year Member
I kept the duct closed because, for example the air conditioner needs to push more air to upper levels of the house. Good point though about leaving them open and air flow.
Option 1 is not feasible for where this is.
Option 2 (dehumidifier) may be a better option.

I am also thinking I need to get on a better schedule of not only siphoning tanks, but literally taking them outside and hosing them out. Also the 2.5 gallon tanks (4 of them) don't have lids. With that in mind, there is a lot more water evaporation (I think).

I was trying to think about which system would be best for filtering, sponge or outside filters. Now I use outside, and I think that is best for the larger tanks. I use a 20 gallon whisper on the 10's.

We were thinking now is more of a problem because of the additional tanks, but I am undertain. Who knows.

Thanks for your reply.

Randy

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
The two keys to reducing humidity, which is what leads to mold problems are to reduce evaporation and vent the humid air out. If the problem is mold spores, they are not coming directly from the tanks. The spores are coming from another surface somewhere that is moldy due to the humidity.

I reduce evaporation by using sponger filters with airstones that run at a moderate air flow. Most people use far more air than needed for the filter to work. I also use tight-fitting glass tops with complete plastic strips on the back. When I make glass tops I cut a corner out for the airline and heater cord, but leave the top long enough the seal the rest of the way around the tank.

I vent the humidity by leaving a register open in the basement fishroom and using a dehumidifier. Air exchange is important. Air movement alone will not do it; all you are doing is circulating teh same wet air.

georgedv

5 Year Member
Hi Randy,
I had a similar problem a few years ago. By putting lids on the tanks I was able to eliminate some of it. However, the number of tanks (water) in a room and the room temp also are an indirect factor.

If you go to a hardware store you can buy a small kit for $20 or so bucks...read instructions and test mold levels in a room.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

g

RHS788

5 Year Member
Thanks everybody.

I think the garage story puts my problem in perspective.

I think what I will do:
1) open vents rather than keeping them closed.
2) get the mold test kit to ensure there is not a health hazard (and to provide evidence of the problem/lack thereof.
3) I have lids on everything except my 4 2.5 gallon tanks, and yes they do evaporate quite a bit. I need to create some decent lids for them.

I am interested in the water/filter aspect. I am using the Whisper 20's in the 10 gallon tanks, and Whisper 60's in the 55. I am wondering if I should switch to a decent sized pump and sponge filters in the 10 gallon tanks. I wonder about the oxygen, which I always thought more is good, and am not the best at cleaning, and I tend to think the outside filters do a better job. I am open for suggestions.

Thanks again,

Randy

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….