• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Best Ich Medicine

strohl71

5 Year Member
Can I please get opinion(s) on the best ich / external parasite medicine for dwarf cichlids? Malachite green, methylene blue, copper sulfate, or other? What medicines are safest for live plants?

cootwarm

5 Year Member
I've had good luck using QuICK Cure. It's active ingredients are formalin & malachite green. It worked good on the ick, but my cacatuoides in that tank haven't spawned since. I hope it's just a coincidence and they didn't get sterilized by the medicine!

Michael

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
On the rare occasions that I have had Ich, I have always been successful using a combination of Malachite Green & Formalin. This was once a fairly common product in US stores, but now that Formalin is considered a carcinogen, we don't see it. Now I just keep bottles of each chemical & mix when I need it.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Deends upon the age of the fish.

I will use a malachite green medication on adult fish only. There have some suggestions that overuse of malachite green with very young fish can result in sterile males.

I use a meth blue med (usually just meth blue that I mix myself from reagent cyrstals) with most ich cases I get. I also pump the heat up. Ich can only be killed during two phases of its life cycle, and the cyst phase on the fish (the phase we see) is NOT one that we can kill. The heat will speed up the life cycle and get the ich into a susceptable phase so that the meds can kill it.

There is a great article on ectoparasites, including ich, in the most recent BB journal from the ACA...

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….