• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Behavior and genetics in P. pulcher color forms (super red vs. yellow)

RodL

Hi,
I'm new to the forum and wondered if anyone had any information and/or experience with the different color forms of P. pulcher? I have a pair of yellow morph (see picture) and they are really compatible with no aggression towards each other. They have five week old fry and are still parenting great. I am looking for the red morph as well but when I had the reds in the past, the males were really aggressive. Any insight to the inheritance of each color? I know that there is a scientific paper on the behavior but any info on the color genetics would be great.

"Alternative male mating tactics in a cichlid, Pelvicachromis pulcher :
a comparison of reproductive effort and success"
http://usuarios.multimania.es/pelmatochromis/krib.pdf

IMG_0006.JPG

Thanks, Rod

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
The only color pattern in P. pulcher that has an easily-predictable inheritance is the albino (amelanistic... ok, but in the trade they are called albino) phenotype. All the other 'color morphs' (yellow, red, super red) are expressions of the species' inherent genetic diversity for color. Selective breeding may generate a strain that is more consistently red than others, but I have never seen a pair produce a spawn that, once grown to full glory, are 100% 'super red' (for example). There is always a lot of variability in the color, ranging from 'super red' to barley red.

The 'yellow' form is a relatively new designation, and is coming is as wild fish from the Lagos area of Nigeria. IMO, they are the same fish that have been coming in from that area forever. The exporters slapped the 'yellow' onto them to make them more marketable. However, I do think that the bright yellow dorsal, caudal and cheek of the wild fish has been bred into faded yellow by the selection for red.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….