• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Badis Badis compatible?

digitallinh

Thinking about putting a pair of Badis Badis (or Scarlet Badis) into my 29 gallon.

I currently have a non-mated pair of Bolivian Rams, and a female A. Agassizi in the tank. Would those fish cause problems?

I think I already know the answer, just hoping someone else has had good experience keeping these fish together.

Thanks.

Rod

5 Year Member
Badis badis should be ok.....but Scarlet badis (Dario dario) are a lot smaller....and only eat live food so may not be able to compete with larger fish
I have Dario dario happily living (and breeding) in very small tanks.....20 litres...heavily planted with a sponge filter

They prefer cooler water<25c and like it soft and alkaline....that's right soft and alkaline(not acid)

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I've kept and bred Badis badis before. In my opinion they would not survive in a tank with cichlids unless the aquarium was very large and very heavily planted. They just aren't as territorial and aggressive as cichlids.

gerald

5 Year Member
I have a big old male Badis ruber in a 29 with a pair of kribensis plus various tetras and small barbs. He stays out of the kribs' way and they ignore him. The Badis was there first, and the kribs were juvies when I added them. It's worth a try, but watch to make sure the Badis are getting enough food, and be ready to move somebody if there's trouble. It all depends on how your Apistos react to them.

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
I would keep them in a species tank although one could also keep a colony of Cherry or Zebra Shrimp with them to make things more interesting. Some of the very young and small shrimp would make good occasional snacks for the Dario.

Gwendal

I agree with Mike Wise.
I have Badis badis in a Asiatic aquarium, with Bettas splendens, danios and some caridinas.
And with the Bettas the Badis badis are not really good.
With some Apistos is going to be bad.
Also there´s the thing of dont mix diferent species and environments.

1 saludo

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….