• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

apistos and and aquaponic setup

Jplebron

Hello all my apisto afficianados I am currently looking into an indoor aquaponics system using my apisto tanks (30gal and a 40gal).im wondering if any of you have done this and if so what system did you use?What "soil" did you use?did u use a sump like system?what were the biggest chalenges?were there any losses?thank you guys i will begin to share photos once i begin the process all the way through.thank you my apisto family!!!

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I used to use over-tank plastic guttering with hydroleca in it, and pump the water up to it with a maxijet powerhead, but there would be no reason why you couldn't use a sump.

I'm not sure Apistogramma would be any good if you wanted to grow vegetables etc. because they like low conductivity water. If you didn't find having Aroids like Anubias, Philodendron or Epipremnum etc then it works pretty well.

My initial design had slits in the bottom of the drain pipe, but these clogged easily, the later version was on a very gentle slope and internal baffles to retain the hydroleca. An advantage of Aroids is they have pretty chunky roots, which makes occasional maintenance easier.

cheers Darrel

Jplebron

please excuse my ignorance but what do u mean by low conductivity water?and I was thinking of starting out with a similar over tank set up as u have mentioned i will take note of your design also did u try using lava rock under your hydroleca???i hear that helps as it gives room for the water to flow freely without clogging.thank you for your insight darrel i hope to hear from u again soon.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
please excuse my ignorance but what do u mean by low conductivity water?
If you are growing Tomatoes etc. you have a nutrient rich growing solution with an electrical conductivity of ~3,500 microS. Apistogramma are soft water fish that come from water with one or two orders of magnitude less salts.
and I was thinking of starting out with a similar over tank set up as u have mentioned i will take note of your design also did u try using lava rock under your hydroleca???i hear that helps as it gives room for the water to flow freely without clogging.thank you for your insight darrel i hope to hear from u again soon.
I didn't use lava rock, but I think it is a good idea under the hydroleca.

cheers Darrel

Jplebron

Ok thanks again. Do u know of any edible plants that may work with the apistos?herbs?veggies?fruits?and what are your thoughts on alternatives to hydroleca?can't find it anywhere locally...i was thinking of using eco complete instead,do u think that would work?thank you!!!

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Do u know of any edible plants that may work with the apistos?herbs?veggies?fruits?
Basil might work. I've grown Monstera deliciosa like this and that eventually fruits, but not any time soon. Taro (Colocasia esculenta) might be another option, or Ipomea aquatica?
and what are your thoughts on alternatives to hydroleca?can't find it anywhere locally...i was thinking of using eco complete instead,do u think that would work?thank you!!!
It is probably a name thing, they are used for planters etc some I'm pretty sure they will be for sale somewhere. I've always used Hydroleca, partially because it is light in weight.

Have a look for "Expanded Clay Aggregate Pebbles", "Hydroton", "Hydrocrunch" or "Hydrocorn".

cheers Darrel

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….