• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma staecki

Ekona

5 Year Member
Here is a wild male from Jeff. Still small, they should be really nice when grown out.

Astaecki_zps360745da.jpg

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Nice picture again!

I believe they are A. cf. staecki based on color (lot's of blue in the head) and the pattern. The country of origin (Brazil) also supports that. A. staecki comes from Boliva according to Datz. But I'll go with whatever Mike says...I think!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
A. staecki shows a small caudal spot clearly separate from the lateral band. A. cf. staecki shows a continuous lateral band that extends to the caudal fin. Your photo shows a fish with an unusually wide (for these 2 species/forms) lateral band/caudal spot. I can't really say if it has a true caudal spot or not.

Ekona

5 Year Member
A. staecki shows a small caudal spot clearly separate from the lateral band. A. cf. staecki shows a continuous lateral band that extends to the caudal fin. Your photo shows a fish with an unusually wide (for these 2 species/forms) lateral band/caudal spot. I can't really say if it has a true caudal spot or not.

Thanks for your comments, Mike. In looking at other photos on the internet, there are definitely variations in staecki-like fish. This male is the only one I can get a good photo of. Once the other male grows out some, I'll try to get some photos of it for comparison. I like the fact that this forum allows a place for photos of apistos to be posted as a documentation for what is actually out there, and that can only help in adding to the knowledge base.

Ekona

5 Year Member
A. cf. staecki are starting to grow and display. When full grown I can't imagine how nice they are going to be.
Staecki3.jpgStaecki4.jpgStaecki5.jpgStaecki7.jpgStaecki8.jpgStaecki10.jpg

Ekona

5 Year Member
A few photos of female A. cf. staecki - Yup, you sent some females, Jeff :)
SaeckiFemale1.jpgStaeckiFemale2.jpgStaeckiFemale4.jpg

Ekona

5 Year Member
I really like the glittery colors in the dorsal fins of this species.

StaeckiYawn2_zps2fafafc6.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….