• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma identification for TCMontium

TCMontium

5 Year Member
Hello Apisto lovers, likers, interesters and so on. I am a very new member on this forum, but not really new on apisto subject.:) Also, I didn't want the title to be just "Apistogramma identification". I'm not a narcissist. :D

I bought this pair 3 days ago from a pet shop under the name Apistogramma mortenthaleri, but that is not a real species at all. I read that the commercial name A. mortenthaleri can be Apistogramma martini or Apistogramma pantalone, but these fish don't resemble the two species either. What are these? From macmasteri-group or regani-group maybe?

Here is the male:

27356636752_1c2ee99d02_h.jpg
27384325661_d63d4f58a0_h.jpg
26848602043_19a43cca38_h.jpg

The female:

27455969745_393075e23d_h.jpg
27455980815_d4dd4eb8fa_h.jpg

Male and female stress color-pattern change after a small "dance of dominance":

27356687052_384deb60c0_h.jpg
27356676622_cf18ad394b_h.jpg

TCMontium

5 Year Member
They look like one of the A. eunotus complex, something similar to Pebas, Papagei, Algodon, etc. Beautiful bold pattern.

Thanks! :D I guess Pebas and actually some of the Algodon on google images looks like my male. Maybe he needs to grow his fins and develop his color a bit more to be identified easier.

TCMontium

5 Year Member
Strange markings; they seem exagerated. Maybe domestic bred? Anyway they appear to be A. ortegai (= A. sp. Papagei) or an ortegai/cf. ortegai (Pebas) cross.

Thank you! I think the male resembles a lot to some "Pebas" examples, but not that much to A. ortegai since he doesn't have any reddish colors on his fins or body. Though, I am yet just an apprentice with Apistos and never certain with my own identification.
It would be unfortunate if they are crosses. I don't support cross-breeding and mutation-breeding (albino, baloon, longfin etc.). Also, they were from an export of 15 apisto species and several more south american species. I think such an export would be from south america directly, which mean F0 or F1/F2 wild specimens? No cross-breeds?

Here is some better photos as the male kinda flares up to his reflection on at the mirror :) :

27390873151_4403ce685d_h.jpg
27185957020_1a6669287b_b.jpg
26853307534_77527c487a_b.jpg

Last edited:

gerald

5 Year Member
I dont know if ortegai and "Pebas" normally occur together in nature (I'll bet Mike or Frank knows) but wild hybrids do occur sometimes. Also, collectors sometimes transplant fish to their local streams to create a more accessible source, which could result in wild hybrids.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Better photos of your female would be helpful. BTW, color isn't typically important for apisto identification.

Gerald is right about transplants. The type locality for A. ortegai has both ortegai and cf. ortegai (Pebas). Until a few years ago this location only had Pebas. This is why the holotype species is the same as A. sp. Papagei, but many of the paratypes are A. sp. Pebas. Unpublished genetics results have shown this to be true. My guess is that any ortegai-like species collected from this location - much nearer to Pebas than other collecting localities that are in a much more dangerous cocaine producing region - have some chance of being crosses.

TCMontium

5 Year Member
I won't be at home for a week. I can take and share better photos of the female next week, hopefully.
Thanks again, for the information on species and collectors.

TCMontium

5 Year Member
Female shows the brood dress of A. cf. ortegai (Pebas). A. ortegai females show only 2 lateral spot in brood dress.

I found her babies just after sharing these photos, so she really is in her brood dress. They are A. cf. ortegai (Pebas) then.
Thank you! Now I have to grow some babies. :D

27766969245_435117bf0b_h.jpg
27692691741_aee6ec827b_b.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
At least the female is. The male? I'd need to see the dark markings on the body - especially the shape of the caudal spot - to be sure, but probably is Pebas.

TCMontium

5 Year Member
At least the female is. The male? I'd need to see the dark markings on the body - especially the shape of the caudal spot - to be sure, but probably is Pebas.

The male doesn't show his markings clearly. I can't take a better shot than the ones in the earlier posts. I will share more if he shows his markings more clearly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….