• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma for Sale!

summerboy1958

OK. Two questions: Are any of the others that might be suitable for my tank female heavy? If I got a pair now, could I add another female later (your next shipment?)?

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
I'm female heavy on the A. alacrina and could easily send a trio or even more females. I'm also slightly female heavy on the sp. Melgar and the "cruzi" Peru (which aren't true cruzi). I'm VERY female heavy on the barlowi red face but that's not a harem spawning fish so that doesn't do you much good!

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
I'm not sure when the next shipment of Peru Apsitos will be. I don't have the tank space right now to bring an order in and I've been pushing off both Zaire (West Africa) and a Rift Lake cichlid order. But yes, I might be able to add additional females later. You would need to really scarmble the tank decorations when the time came though as any females you already have would have well established territories and most likely pound on any new females entering the tank.

summerboy1958

Can you post pictures of the 3 species you mention (A. alacrina, sp. Melgar and the "cruzi" Peru). What does this comment mean: the "cruzi" Peru (which aren't true cruzi).

What would be the trio pricing for each (i don't think I have floor space for more than a trio in my 30 g)? From your comments, it sounds like it is far better to get the fish settled in together.

Which brings up an interesting point. What happens if one of the fish dies? It sounds like replacing a female could be bad. How about replacing a male?

Thanks,

Bruce

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Bruce,

This thread http://www.apistogramma.com/forum/s...u-order-for-the-season-and-Updated-Stock-List has pictures of many of the new fish (with more pictures to be added as I have time).

I'll get trio pricing added to the list at the start of this thread but figure it will add $10-$15 to "up-grade" to a trio on the fish I mentioned.

The fish that came in as cruzi are not really cruzi. As of right now I do not have an I.D. on them but it has been suggested that it MIGHT be A. cf. eunotus Spaltenfleck/Split-spot but that is unconfirmed at this point. It's actually very common for wild Apistos to be shipped under one name and turn out to be anther species all together.

Yes, adding Apistos to an estabilshed pair can be tricky but it can be done. I always try to start out with the group I want just to make things easier, but that of course isn't always possible!

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Thanks for posting the pictures Scott! And thanks for making the trip up over the weekend. Hopefully you have some quick success with the new fish.

summerboy1958

Great pictures! The colors appear to be light blue and green, very subdued. Is that the "normal" color for the Apistogramma cf. alacrina? Do the change as they become aclimated to their new environment and have less stress?

I am drawn to blues and reds and am leaning towards a trio of Melgar. Like you said, the biggest problem is picking out what species!!

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
The male I pulled out and set-up shows more of a yellow hue to him. But he is actively courting the 2 females in with him so he is presenting different colors because of it.

summerboy1958

I've been so hung up on your wild offerings that I discarded the notion of your tank raised trio. Do you have a picture of your a. panduro. They may be a better match for my novice experience and tap water tank.

summerboy1958

Crap, i missed your comment on the black chins. I really like the pictures of them that i have seen on other sites. A quick question, I really want these critters to be as happy as possible. You made a comment:

"I keep the Apistos I have for sale in 7.6pH and 300ppm water and they do just fine. For long term keeping and breeding I'll play with the water and adjust the pH and hardness as needed with R.O. water, tanins from wood and leaves, and the like."

To make wilds really happy and healthy should I be thinking about doing something to help my tank water pH and hardness? Or would I do that just for breeding.

Thanks!!

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
It's the difference between surviving and thriving. Most fish will live in a HUGE range of conditions assuming that the quality of the water is good. The chemistry is secondary. Stable clean water is priority one. Once you have that taken care of you can consider moving unto adjusting the chemistry of the water.

Are you looking to breed the Apistos you get or keep them in a community setting and hope they breed? If it's the first, get the water figured out before you get fish. If it's the second, don't worry to much about the water as the chances of raising fry in a community tank are on the small side. Unless you are able to remove the fry from the community tank to a fry only tank you realisticly won't have more then the casual spawn and fry to watch and enjoy anyway.

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Bottom line... I can't help you figure out which Apistos you like and want to keep!

I have the same problem and I'm running over 180 tanks right now! You will always want more fish then you have room or time for! That's a promise!!!

summerboy1958

Very nice. I'm in for the trio of black chin. Let me know the details for payment and shipping. I need to get some gear to hatch bbs so I have some chow when the arrive.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….