• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma cacatuoides polychromatic

aarhud

5 Year Member
I apologize if this is covered/known. Unfortunately, I can't find the Peru trips from Tom's website. How polychromatic are A. cacatuoides compared species like A. agassizii?

My fish were labeled as "Peru", so is it safe to assume they most likely came from around Iquitos? Do you know if the area around Iquitos shows a range A. cacatuoide males in a range of different colors? I was told the really blue from of A. cacatuoides would be closer to Pucallpa. I have a male with a blue sheen and I would love for him to turn out like some of the blue forms of A. cacatuoides I have seen.

Thank you,
Aaron

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
My experience is that A. cacatuoides specimens from a single collecting location all tend to be the same color. Yes, there is some variation, but nowhere near that of A. agassizii where a single population can have 2 or more color morphs. Location around Iquitos are mostly what I call a yellow or grey color morph. Specimens Tom & I collected in the Río Napo and Putumayo had a nice bluish cast, but I wouldn't consider them true blue like those introduced in the 1970s and reportedly from around Pucallpa. I've never seen any cacs that blue. Also, my guess is that many of these populations are actually separate species.

aarhud

5 Year Member
Thank you Mike.

I'll grow mine out and see what they turn out like. I bet the blue sheen that I am seeing is just the grey juvenile colors and lighting. The two larger males show gold coloring.

Garri Ausmus

5 Year Member
My cacs are redish orange like fire. what i have found in this type ar X rated.... ok i mean X2, X3, and X4 describing how many sets of fins have the patern. Here is a pic of my x2 male and the x4 female in the back. Two spawns in 29 days for my pair. I had to separate them due to no more room for tanks in my fishroom. I put both batches, 100+ each into a %% gallon grow out tank. None of their tanks have heaters they do great at 69 to 70 degrees.
Apistogramma cacatuoides_5-27-2017.JPG

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
My cacs are redish orange like fire. what i have found in this type ar X rated.... ok i mean X2, X3, and X4 describing how many sets of fins have the patern.
These were line bred from wild fish that showed some red tail marks and black chequering.

I also believe the "Orange Flash" strain was subsequently bred from the "Double Red" line, chequering is dominant over plain fins, so a lot of chequered fish are heterozygous for chequering.

Wild caught cacatuoides come in a variety of colour morphs, but not in "Double Red" etc.

cheers Darrel

Garri Ausmus

5 Year Member
middle of this vid is both Cac fry batches together in their 55 gallon grow out tank. salt and pepper sand

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….