• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma Bitaeniata Tefe

TankWatcher

5 Year Member
Apistogramma Bitaeniata Tefe ????

Here is a picture of my male Apistogramma Bitaeniata Tefe, at least that is what LFS sold him to me as. Someone else who saw a picture of him said that he might not be a Tefe, due to his blue face but one of the Peru Bitaeniata varieties. If anyone can help me pin point which type of Apistogramma Bitaeniata he is, that would be great. Thanks very much in advance for any replies.

27.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
It looks like a typical Peruvian A. bitaeniata to me, too. Brazilian forms have less blue spangling on the face & opercula, having more yellow instead. They also have a more distinct second abodominal band than Peruvian forms. Brazilian forms tend to be more slender, too. That being said, the Tefé forms (there is more than one) tend to be intermediate between the two general forms, with attributes of both Peruvan forms and those from farther down the Solimões (Brazilian Amazon above Manaus). Your fish is very Peruvian in appearance. Still, it is a beautiful specimen - as is the aquarium.

TankWatcher

5 Year Member
Thanks Mike. So, do I just call him a Apistogramma Bitaeniata Peru?

Thanks for the tank compliment too. In case your interested, here is a full shot of the home he shares with his mate, 2 pencil fish & 2 otos. I've tried to incorporate lots of hiding places, visual barriers along with my love of a planted aquarium.

13.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I doubt it. A. bitaeniata (Mamuri) comes from near Manaus and is the typical "Brazilian" form of A. bitaeniata. The fish shown is much more "Peruvian" in appearence.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….