• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma bitaeniata female or a young male?

Gertbl

5 Year Member
Hi Everybody,

Someone in the Netherlands is keeping a pair of Apistogramma bitaeniata in his tank, and their are some question marks if this would be a female. What do you guys think?

Here are some pictures:
873976_0_82_13_09_015.jpg

113593_0_82_13_09_014.jpg

Gertbl

5 Year Member
Hi Mike, thanks for your reply. If I look at the picture, than it almost seems to have a dark stripe on the edge of the caudal fin.
Maybe this is a better picture:
429638_0_82_13_09_029.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
It's unusual to see a male specimen of A. bitaeniata wth a striped caudal fin like yours. Most show rows of spots in the central part of the fin. Unusual, but no unknown. Populations from the Río Ampiyacu and even parts of the Tigre show no spot rows. My guess is that this fish is fully mature and about 2"/5cm TL. If true, then it is a female. The body shape, low dorsal fin, and lack of many blue markings on the head all are indicative of females. The dark pattern in the caudal fin may be just part of the dark stress pattern that shows in the most recent photo.

ste12000

5 Year Member
My first thought on seeing these pictures is a male Apistogramma mendezi ??? There are a few knocking around Europe lately.

Gertbl

5 Year Member
That is indeed what I thought recently. I know that the shop who sold these Apistogramma, also had Apistogramma mendezi at the same time. Perhaps this could be a mistake and the he bought a male A. bitaeniata and also a male A. mendezi.
I heard that its not really going well between the two specimens. The A. bitaeniata male is chasing the other one and really opens his gills.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Yes, it is very possible that it is a male A. mendezi. There are 2 abdominal stripes below the lateral band. Some A. bitaeniata show a pale second stripe, too. Better photos are needed to be sure.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Isn't it amazing how different a fish can appear from photo to photo? The fish appears to be a female, base on the round dorsal/anal fin tips and more robust body shape. The dark stripes in the tail are gone! This fish looks like a female A. bitaeniata, to me.

Gertbl

5 Year Member
It's indeed amazing and weird how a fish can look different on each photo. So in this case, it's probable a female A. bitaeniata.
If I'm looking at the first two photo then I would say it is a A. mendezi. But is it not the fact that female A. bitaeniata are half the size of a male? In his case it's is almost the same size as the male he got. He is keeping them in a 1m tank. Would it be better/wise to add another female in the tank?

Gertbl

5 Year Member
Here are some new pictures he made of the two specimens.
How big is the difference between a female and the male A. bitaeniata in size?

124326_0_82_apisto2_035.jpg

342458_0_82_apisto2_036.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….