1. Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma agassizi 'blue'

Discussion in 'Dwarf Cichlids' started by slimbolen99, Jan 1, 2012.

1. slimbolen99

slimbolen99 Active Member

Like I said before, December is the month for Apisto spawning, I guess.

Got two wild pairs of Apistogramma agassizi 'blue' about a month ago. The dominant male promptly killed the other male.

I have the new trio setup in a 75 gallon aquarium with seven neon tetras as dithers. Lots and lots of leaf and driftwood cover, and about 1" of pool filter sand for substrate.

pH: 6.0 or lower (hopefully)
    Temp: 76*F

The male had been courting one of the females for quite a while but nothing came of it...until one day about a week ago the female disappeared. Quite disgusted, and assuming the worst, I did a big water change thinking I might stir the corpse up.

The other day, however, discovered the female guarding about 75 or so tiny free swimming babies. For some reason, I don't have any pics of the male...I'll have to go down and see what I can get.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. slimbolen99

Finally got downstairs and grabbed a few pictures, not very good ones, of the male A. agassizi 'blue'...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. Jonathan Aquari

Jonathan Aquari Member

great pics. I was thinking about buy some, so now I will
  4. slimbolen99

Thanks. I hope folks realize that even the wild type fish are amazing and pretty too. The male still hasn't even grown into colors yet.

Went downstairs a couple of days ago to do some work, and noticed it was like World War III in this tank. Took a peak, and discovered the second female had apparently spawned, and has free swimmers now as well. Gonna have to go oak leaf collecting today; there's not enough cover in this tank for two female Apistogramma agassizi's!

Second female Apistogramma agassizi 'blue' with fry:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

First Apistogramma agassizi 'blue' female with fry (older fry)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. Jonathan Aquari

Jonathan Aquari Member

do you keep them in strait RO or do you mix with tap
  6. Tom C

Tom C Active Member

Nice fish, Slimbolen99!
    But "...even the wild type.."??:eek: In my eyes, domestically bred fish are nothing compared to the wild types:

A. agassizii Flamenco (Rio Tigre):
    [​IMG]

A. agassizii (Rio Ampiyacu)
    [​IMG]

A. agassizii (Rio Galvez)
    [​IMG]

A. agassizii (Rio Tahuayo)
    [​IMG]

A. agassizii Butterfly (Rio Tamshiyacu)
    [​IMG]

A. agassizii Pastel (Rio Tamshiyacu)
    [​IMG]

:biggrin:
  7. slimbolen99

Absolutely Tom. I love your site and pictures of all the wild apistos. It is an inspiration. I'm fairly confident that there is not a "domestic" strain fish in my fish room.
  8. slimbolen99

Tap water treated with a pH down buffer, and filtered through peat moss for 48 hours before being added to the tank. No RO or RO/DI.
    pH out of the tap is over 8.0
    pH afterwards is in the neighborhood of 4.5
    TDS = 572
    PPM = 294
    kH = 1*
    gH = 8*
  9. DaRe

DaRe Member

10. Mike Wise

Mike Wise Moderator Staff Member

There is no listing because this is only a color morph of A. agassizii without a collecting location. My species list shows listings for different known populations. Not all of them represent different species.
  11. DaRe

DaRe Member

It's not the first time I've seen the term blue on wild agassizii. Has anyone been able to get some location info of this color variant?
  12. Mike Wise

This is a color variant. The species is highly polychromatic. Virtually every population of A. agassizii will have some predominantly blue fish. A better question to ask is: does anyone know the location where this specific blue morph of A. agassizii is collected? The answer for now is 'no'.
  13. Gwendal

Gwendal Member

I love agassizii, nice wild pics Tom!

1 saludo
  14. edwliang

edwliang Member

mike, i want to know how come the spawned female sometimes has one black spot, sometimes two.
  15. Mike Wise

A. agassizii females (and most other agassizii-complex species) have a reputation for showing 1, 2, or even 1 on one side and 2 on the other side lateral spots. It is just an oddity for these species.
  16. Jcwong

Jcwong New Member

Nice fish!

Congratulations on breeding them successfully!
    DCarter likes this.
  17. susanamck

susanamck New Member

I recently purchased 2 wild females which we just labeled as wilds, under more investigation and lots of calls to the suppliers my lfs told me they were the blue strain collected from Rio nanay river in Peru. Don't know if this helps the ' where they are from question.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk HD