• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apisto sp "Branco".

Microman

5 Year Member
Very lucky pickup...Identified as A sp"Branco", came into the UK labelled as "Boa Vista".
Unluckily all 6 juveniles turned out to be males....
Mark...
A_sp_Branco.jpg

A_sp_Branco1.jpg

A_sp_Branco2.jpg

peterK

5 Year Member
Nice ones:)
So they are the same species as showed in CA2 Apistogramma sp. 'Branco-Pulchra'?

blueblue

5 Year Member
Yes, it is the same fish under 2 different names. I would not mix it with A. pulchra. They are 2 different, but related species.

Frankly speaking, i do not quite agree that they are different species. If you just show the picture to others, the fish is nothing more than an A. pulchra... I would say that it is just a naming issue/trick... the same applies to A. sp. Forkband and A. mendezi... and a huge variety of apistos from Peru...

peterK

5 Year Member
Frankly speaking, i do not quite agree that they are different species. If you just show the picture to others, the fish is nothing more than an A. pulchra... I would say that it is just a naming issue/trick... the same applies to A. sp. Forkband and A. mendezi... and a huge variety of apistos from Peru...
The similar question is with differences between A. sp. Vielflecken and A. sp. Peixoto - for me they look identically.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The similar question is with differences between A. sp. Vielflecken and A. sp. Peixoto - for me they look identically.

The original A. sp. Peixoto is very different from Vielfleck. A. sp. aff. Peixoto is, in my opinion, a geographic population of A. sp. Xingu-Vielfleck. I cannot believe the collecting source for sp. aff. Peixoto. It is completely outside of the range of the Xingu-complex fish.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member

They are similar, but do show different flank markings.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Thanks, i understand that Mike, while i do think some differences in features are a bit too superficial...

I understand why you say this. There are differences that, although subtle on live specimens, are diagnostic for the 2 different species:

A. pulchra: deeper body; vertical bars (when visible) slightly broader than the lighter interstitial areas (forms a lighter colored body); scales on abdomen (depending on mood) will show dark front edges that do not usually merge with the dark edges of scale above and below; lateral band expands continuously and evenly into the base of the caudal fin.

A. sp. Branco(-Pulchra): body more slender (looks like a thin, newly imported A. agassizii); vertical bars (when visible) broad with narrow light interstial areas (darker colored body); scales on abdomen (depending on mood) will show dark front edges that often merge with the dark edges of scales above and below & form wavy diagonal stripes; lateral band expands continuously and evenly to the base of the caudal fin, then (depending on mood) shows a thin (pinched) band that expands again in the base of the caudal fin - sometimes even appearing as a separate caudal spot.

The 2 species have separate ranges that are split by the Amazon River. A. pulchra is restricted to the Rio Madeira system. A. sp. Branco(-Pulchra) is found exclusively in the upper Rio Branco of the Rio Negro system. There is another form (A. cf. pulchra (Uatumã) "Fire Red") (see: http://rva.jp/apisto/agassizii_pulchra_uatuma.html) that looks much like A. sp. Branco(-Pulchra). It comes from the Rio Uatumã, a small river that enters the Amazon from the north, lying east of Manaus.

blueblue

5 Year Member
Thanks Mike for the details. ..

I understand why you say this. There are differences that, although subtle on live specimens, are diagnostic for the 2 different species:

A. pulchra: deeper body; vertical bars (when visible) slightly broader than the lighter interstitial areas (forms a lighter colored body); scales on abdomen (depending on mood) will show dark front edges that do not usually merge with the dark edges of scale above and below; lateral band expands continuously and evenly into the base of the caudal fin.

A. sp. Branco(-Pulchra): body more slender (looks like a thin, newly imported A. agassizii); vertical bars (when visible) broad with narrow light interstial areas (darker colored body); scales on abdomen (depending on mood) will show dark front edges that often merge with the dark edges of scales above and below & form wavy diagonal stripes; lateral band expands continuously and evenly to the base of the caudal fin, then (depending on mood) shows a thin (pinched) band that expands again in the base of the caudal fin - sometimes even appearing as a separate caudal spot.

The 2 species have separate ranges that are split by the Amazon River. A. pulchra is restricted to the Rio Madeira system. A. sp. Branco(-Pulchra) is found exclusively in the upper Rio Branco of the Rio Negro system. There is another form (A. cf. pulchra (Uatumã) "Fire Red") (see: http://rva.jp/apisto/agassizii_pulchra_uatuma.html) that looks much like A. sp. Branco(-Pulchra). It comes from the Rio Uatumã, a small river that enters the Amazon from the north, lying east of Manaus.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buthag

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….