• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Adding Driftwood to an Established Tank

GaMeR

Hello!

I usually like smaller fish, and I was keeping ember tetras, galaxy rasboras for 5-6 years. When I went to local store to get some Pseudomugil Gertrudae for my 100x45x50 cm 200 liter / 50 galon tank, I saw a couple Apisto Cacatuoides and bought a pair. Such a newbie mistake. I didn't prepare my aquarium for them, but it was already established; running for years.

I have a big rock on the right side of my aquarium, blocking the sight of heater & filter intake & ph controller probe. So I want to remove that rock (slowly not to ruin the water with debris) and put a driftwood so I can get some tannins.

When I was looking for a piece of driftwood I also find a another really nice piece of wood with great texture.

So I want to introduce 2 x 35-40cm of wood to my aquarium but I'm really concerned about the fish I've had. It's been a week now, everyone seems happy. Don't want to mess with water too much. I also got some swords and anubias to plant for Apistos, but they wait for driftwood placements.

What do you suggest? Now curing the main driftwood with hot water.
Should I take the big gneiss rock to have a driftwood only aquarium? If yes, what should I watch for?

GaMeR

Got it from the pet store. It's kinda big but I'm treating it with hot water, it doesn't have much tannins.
I was gonna use it to reduce the ph a bit but I think my apistos don't really care about my ph.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
If it is a commercial product it should be safe after a quick rinse to remove dust. It should be either weighted or be a very dense wood so it shouldn't need any extra soaking to sink. I doubt it will lower the pH much.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….