• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Adam's 3 Foot Biotope (Semi Rio Nanay/Tigre biotope)

discus_noob

Hi guys,

Here is a biotope style tank.

Tank
3 x 18 x 20

Substrate
Frazer Island Sand

Filtration
1 x Eheim 2217

Lighting
1 x Hagen GLO Twin T5 HO light unit.
2 x Hagen GLO Tubes

Heating
1 x Aqua One 300W Heater, To be Upgraded to a Hydor Inline heater as soon as they become available.

Hardscape
Melaleuca (have about 6 more pieces to use from as well that can easily be put in at any stage that are all three foot full pieces as this scape only uses 1)

Plants
Indian Almond Leaves and peat layer (yet to be a full layer throughout the substrate)
Amazon Frogbit

Fish
8 x Corydoras Melini
7 x Corydoras Atropersonatus
2 x Apistogramma Trifasciatus (breeding pair)
20 x Lemon Tetras

Soon to put in 15 x Dwarf Pencilfish and replace the lemon tetras

The aim is to get a rio nanay/tigre biotope where both of my corydoras are from, however the apistogrammas are not... But could not pass up such a beautiful breeding pair. Will hopefully be putting in some apistogrammas that relate to this area such as the A. Sp. Fresa (if anyone in qld has some to sell to me).

Some small changes need to be made to the scape as such, including more low lying wood from the wood I still have spare (6 3 foot pieces I can cut up and use) and give them more of a "hut" style layout. I am still playin around with the scape as such and getting it right but the fish are loving the environment and the low pH :)

First thing is first (which I know many will comment on instantly) is the hydor inline heater needs to go in the tank ASAP as the sight of this ugly aqua one heater is just ruining the scape. And also I need to be a better photographer so I can really show what the aquascape is like rather than my dodgey pics. Will update once more wood is added and it is more "filled out" on the bottom with more of a nest of wood throughout whole bottom.

IN THE BEGINNING!!

FULL tank shots:

IMG_3587.jpg

IMG_3594.jpg

IMG_3556.jpg

Fish shots:
IMG_3569.jpg

IMG_3597.jpg

IMG_3573.jpg

IMG_3567.jpg

IMG_3578.jpg

IMG_3550.jpg

IMG_3584.jpg

IMG_3540.jpg

Cheers,

Adam

discus_noob

It then went to this;

Was messing around with the tank tonight. Got a few things done with improving the hardscape and also added a tonne more peat (excuse the massive peat whirlpool currently taking place that replicates a massive haze in the water column.

I still need to make some changes to the hardscape but it is improving to a better standard. I also need to add some more leaves and more peat over time and let it all break down :)

I am happy with where this tank is heading I just need to wait for my inline heater to be ordered once Age of Aquariums get them back in stock. Once they are back in stock then it will be nearing its finishing stage.

FOR NOW IM HAPPY

IMG_3784-Copy.jpg

IMG_3790-Copy.jpg

There is plenty of leaf breakdown and mulm and peat build up within the woodwork on the bottom layer and also throughout the whole floor substrate just cannot see in the pictures and more of a see in real life tank haha. I will have Zane come round tomorrow so he can leave a comment on the tank in person when he sees it.

I will update the tank pics once the peat cloudstorm has settled down as I recon it will make it look ten thousand times better once it is crystal clear tank :)

discus_noob

And then this;

bit of an update

some pics I took and since things have settled down. Unsure if I am happy with the top half of the tank but the bottom is definitely finished with addition of some more leaves and peat to come :)

FTS:
IMG_3798.jpg

IMG_3801.jpg

Male Apistogramma Trifasciata
IMG_3819.jpg

Corydoras Atropersonatus chilling in the mulm and gunk that replicates how it should be :)
IMG_3805.jpg

Corydoras Atropersonatus and Apistogramma Trifasciatus female
IMG_3810.jpg

Adam

discus_noob

And finally this

WHERE IT IS AT TODAY :)

Bit of an Update;

IMG_4177.jpg

IMG_4176.jpg

I am pretty much finished with this tank thank god haha....Only changes are the odd 8 to 10 leaves once every two weeks and the addition of more peat every second week as well.... It is all travelling great and am very happy with how it is going. The trifasciata fry are still being heavily guarded by the female and still alive so fingers crossed.

Adam

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….