1. Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Aarhud’s 125 gallon Apistogramma Tank (Not a Biotope)

Discussion in 'South American Biotope Aquariums' started by aarhud, Jul 11, 2017.

1. aarhud

aarhud Active Member 5 Year Member

Free swimmers spotted today. I fed some micro worms, but the fry appeared to have white bellies already. No doubt they are getting some meals off of the algae and fungus growing on the oak branches/leaves.
    Mbkemp likes this.
  2. aarhud

I lost another adult. I lost the female that was guarding the fry. The body must have been a day old. The stomach was reddish in appearance just like the male that died several weeks back. The fry are still swimming around fine. The male is not showing any signs of distress. He is cruising around and sifting sand.

I treated with levisamole again, as the tank was due for treatment anyway. Any other ideas? The only common denominator is the reddish stomach/abdomen of the deceased fish. No thinning or abnormal behavior beforehand.
  3. Shane Puthuparambil

Shane Puthuparambil Member

Sorry for your loss!

Cacuatoides are extremely aggressive. Not totally surprised.

Rival males/alpha can be the issue.

Seperate fry from male, or he will snack!
    Mbkemp likes this.
  4. aarhud

Two Apistogramma in a heavily structured 6-foot tank. Aggression is not the issue. I lost the last female. She was in a 10 gallon along with two pencil fish. She was eating fine. I found her today, dead with redness around the stomach.

Whatever is killing the Apistogramma is not affecting the Nannostomus marginatus.

I have three males left. I'm not sure how many fry are left. The fry no longer stick together, so they are spread out amongst the oak branches and leaf litter.
  5. gerald

gerald Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Bummer. Apistos sure do seem prone to "mysterious death syndrome".
    This is why they'll never be "bread and butter" fish in the mass-market hobby.
    ButtNekkid likes this.
  6. aarhud

I counted 40ish fry today. Can you think of anything that would kill adults, but not harm the fry? The fry have been free swimming for 3 weeks now. I'm alternating between brine shrimp and microworms.
  7. gerald

gerald Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

A slow-growing internal infection comes to mind, but you'd expect to see some symptoms for at least a few days or weeks before death. If your adults went from healthy-looking totally normal behavior to dead in a day or two, and they're not visibly beat up, then i'm stumped. Any chance of bad food maybe?
  8. aarhud

I don't know Gerald. I have fed brine shrimp, Microworms, Grindalworms, and New Life Spectrum small fish formula.

Could the NLS be bad?

I dont think the live foods I am feeding could be bad. The cultures do not smell or look unhealthy. The grindal worms are living in a foam media. Poret foam to be specific, I had some left over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  9. aarhud

No further losses to date. I moved 50 fry into 10 gallon tanks (25 per 10g tank) for grow out.
    Shane Puthuparambil likes this.