• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A.Trifasciata not really getting alone

• Thread starter something_fishy
  • Start date
S

something_fishy

hey guys im a newb here. i only have 2 Apistos. 1 male and 1 female trifasciata. ive had them for about 3 weeks to a month now and they seem to not really like each other much. the male tries to flash his colors but then he just aggressively chases the female. What may be the cause of this aggression? Also, the the lines that are displayed in many A.Trifasciata pics only show when they eat or when the male chases the female. would you guys suggest that i get an additional female?

my tank has a slate cave, a bridge, and a small shell as hiding spots. it also has sufficient amounts of plastic plants.

my parameters when i last checked them were:
pH- 6.4
Ammonia-0.0
Nitrite- 0.0
Nitrate-between 40-60

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Definitely get at least 1 more female. A. trifasciata is very polygamous & can be quite aggressive toward a single female not ready to breed. It is always better to spread the aggression between 2 or more females. That should keep him from picking on just one fish. If the tank doesn't have other fish, I'd add some dither fish, too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wrathian

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….