• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. sp. Rocafuerte

Ekona

5 Year Member
Just got some F0 A. sp. rocafuerte from Jeff. Thought I would post a few pics of them half an hour after being put into their new aquarium. Top two appear to be males. What do you think of the bottom two? I think they may be females based on the shorter pelvic fins and mostly yellow coloration of pelvic and anal fins. If females, then this species has some nicely colored females. Probably not the best pics to show diagnostic markings, so I will see if I can get some better ones later.

Overall I think this is going to be an awesome apisto - thank you Jeff :)

Males
RocaFuerteMale2a_zpsf6640428.jpg

RocaFuerteMale1b_zpsc58afc37.jpg

Females?
RocaFuerteFemale1a_zps4d2a5418.jpg

RocaFuerteFemale2a_zps70564366.jpg

Ekona

5 Year Member
Comparing the pattern in the caudal fin of the second male, with the two lower fish in the pics above, I think the two "females" are actually two pics of the second male, but with more yellow in the fins.

I'm thinking this might be the best chance for a female of the group.

FemaleRoceFuerte3a_zpsf5cc300f.jpg

Ekona

5 Year Member
Very nice fish!! Which lineage and which group do they belong to?

I did notice some similarities between A. sp. rocafuerte and this image of a fish labeled as A. juruensis, found on the fishbase website:
http://www.fishbase.us/Photos/PicturesSummary.php?StartRow=2&ID=26699&what=species&TotRec=4
Specifically, both fish appear to have a purple spot right where the anal fin joins the body. And there are overall similarities in coloration of the body and fins, although colors alone are not thought to be reliable characteristics for identification purposes.

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
It's a cacatuoides complex fish. Let me know on the "females" Dave. If I need to make it right in some way I will. I pulled the girls based on prominent black pectoral fin edges (when they are in the right mood). I pulled a big male with the dorsal fin extensions coming and hopefully a second male (he shows some female traits too!) So either I have a tank full of males or like you said this species has some attractively market females.

Ekona

5 Year Member
It's a cacatuoides complex fish. Let me know on the "females" Dave. If I need to make it right in some way I will. I pulled the girls based on prominent black pectoral fin edges (when they are in the right mood). I pulled a big male with the dorsal fin extensions coming and hopefully a second male (he shows some female traits too!) So either I have a tank full of males or like you said this species has some attractively market females.

I think you probably sent two pairs, Jeff. But I'll let you know. The males at first had a lot of blue in them, but after a couple of hours in the tank, they got a lot more yellow in their fins, and that is why I thought the 3rd and 4th pics were "females". Based on body shape and fin length, I'm betting the last pic is a female. Thanks, again, great fish!

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
With the normal disclaimer that I'm no good at ID or sexing, but I think that
I pulled the girls based on prominent black pectoral fin edges
should that be ventral? assuming it is that is normally the method I use for sexing females, along with lack of dorsal fin extension (in those species with dimorphic "dorsal fin lappets").

cheers Darrel

Ekona

5 Year Member
Hi all,
With the normal disclaimer that I'm no good at ID or sexing, but I think that should that be ventral? assuming it is that is normally the method I use for sexing females, along with lack of dorsal fin extension (in those species with dimorphic "dorsal fin lappets").

cheers Darrel

They are also known as pelvic fins in many references.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
TomC, Julio Melgar & I collected dozens of specimens of Rocafuerte/Shaly last Fall on the Peru/Ecuador border. My females show no (or almost no) spotting in the caudal fin, like A. cacatuoides. I'm pretty sure post #4 shows a female; the others are probably males, but not positive about the last fish in the group.

Ekona

5 Year Member
Mike, thanks for comments. After looking at them more closely, I'm pretty sure fish in post #1 are of the two males. I'm glad to hear you think fish in #4 is female (and have your own WC to compare to) because I had some doubt about it (there appears to be a slight extension to the 3rd and 4th dorsal spines). But, yes, reduced spotting in caudal fin along with rounded shape, and less bulky body shape suggest to me a female.

Ekona

5 Year Member
The A. sp. rocofuerte have begun to settle in. Here's a few pics of the alpha male showing dorsal fin extensions. Also there appears to be a nice yellow patch around the gill covers and the pectoral and pelvic fins.

ad41e6e0-68df-4af9-add8-ee58e4c41c9d_zps2fbcaea9.jpg

97ef0f7f-7c18-4c7c-804b-b4fa0b128f29_zps78954991.jpg

5e36ab95-5e0c-4917-9dcb-3127a7e08e33_zpsc7b84233.jpg

Male with female Pv. sp. aff. subocellatus
RocaMale-Subo_zps75e82a6e.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….