• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A.macmasteri help with egg eating? To pull eggs?

Apsnake

hi all I have a pair of macmasteri i was sold as viejita and they have spawned 3 times and eaten the eggs every time after the female guarding for several days and then revert to male chasing female. The normal advice is to leave them to adjust to breeding and they should get it. Problem is I can't get these fish locally and recently suffered losing my a.trifasciata male and not being able to get another for 150 miles! I'm paranoid now to say the least. The trifasciata has now been replaced luckily but these won't be so easy. So I want to artificially hatch a spawn. I have looked a lot online but not tons of info enough to get the basics but because it's my first time I would like more assistance. I would like to ensure at least a few fry survive to continue the bloodline and keep them in my tanks and am considering pulling the eggs to get that first spawn. After this I'm happy to let them do their own thing. Any and all help with this subject is really appreciated as I'm torn what to do and don't feel confident playing with the eggs and hydrogen peroxide methylene blue correct water flow etc etc. And would like the reassurance of someone who is more experienced on the matter.
Thank you in advance

Ttw

5 Year Member
I have had the same problem in the past. After a few failed attempts at letting the fish hatch the eggs and raise fry naturally I have pulled the eggs and hatched them artificially. I use a small container and fill it with the water from the aquarium in which the fish have spawned. Transfer the pot or whatever the eggs are in into the container taking care not to expose the eggs to air. Place an air hose near the pot with the eggs and adjust the air flow to just enough to create a gentle flow of water near the eggs , not touching the eggs. Put methylene blue into the water enough so the water is fairly dark blue. Keep the water the same temp as the aquarium the eggs came from. When the eggs hatch don't feed until the yolk sacs are absorbed. I then place some Java moss in the container so the fry can eat the very small bugs on the moss. After a day or so start feeding baby brine.

Apsnake

Thanks for your reply my friend. Ok so this is a good start I think I'll be having a crack at pulling the eggs. Could anyone tell me more about using peroxide instead of methylene? I prefer the idea that it doesn't have to be water changed out of the egg tank and also isn't methylene a known mutagen? Although I have heard good things about methylene a lot of people prefer hydrogen peroxide and I was hoping to use this as I have lots already in the home! Thank all

Apsnake

Forget it close this stupid comments section pointless waiting for people who can't be bothered to help. Thanks to those who bother replying suck it to those who haven't x

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….