• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A little about me...

cicrush13

Hey there,

I'm new to this site, but been in the hobby most of my life, I got serious about it just over 10 years ago.
I have been breeding Angels, Bristlenose Plecos, Kribs, and finally Apistos!

I am very interested in getting my hands on a few more species of Apistogramma to add to my room once I finish my remodel later this year.

I look forward to learning from all of you.

MickeM

5 Year Member
A lot of space you`ve got there!!!!
I wouldn`t mind a similar fishroom..:)

Keep an eye on the "Pebas" tank if you want/don`t get any Apisto-fry..
The caves with large enterances will probably be hard to defend against the hungry+ nightly active(?) Ancistrus/Bristlenose`s..
(I use coconut-shells placed almost flat to the ground/sand.. and other caves with "limited" access may work too.. if you`ll get any problems);)

Thanks for sharing!!

MickeM

5 Year Member
BTW..

As you probably know already..The lack of sand in your "viejita"-tank (macmasteri !? ) might be a big reason for their shyness you mentioned
in the video !! Sooo much "direct" + solid light!!;)

cicrush13

I like to stock my show tanks quite high, the one tank is a little low right now after a few deaths.
The denison tank has 3 filters on it, Fluval 405, Aquaclear 110 and a whisper 30.
I perform 35% water changes every week and have had that stock in there for 6+ years without issue (except the angel).
The key is to make sure you don't overfeed and you do proper water changes.

cicrush13

BTW..

As you probably know already..The lack of sand in your "viejita"-tank (macmasteri !? ) might be a big reason for their shyness you mentioned
in the video !! Sooo much "direct" + solid light!!;)

Would you recommend light, neautral or dark sand in there?

abrooks12376

I like to stock my show tanks quite high, the one tank is a little low right now after a few deaths.
The denison tank has 3 filters on it, Fluval 405, Aquaclear 110 and a whisper 30.
I perform 35% water changes every week and have had that stock in there for 6+ years without issue (except the angel).
The key is to make sure you don't overfeed and you do proper water changes.
Just proved my point for me. 6+ year old denisons and clown loaches should be far far larger. It's your tank, just throwing In my 2 cents.

MickeM

5 Year Member
Would you recommend light, neautral or dark sand in there?

Since most Apistos are "sifters of sand" by nature, a fine/small sized sand of yellowish color would be very good+ logic..as long as it is not calcareous!!
However.. In a tank.. larger gravel/sized sand often creates a better function as in decompostion-zone for restproducts..
I have some of my tanks filled with several types of sand due to this, but it is not very nice to look at..;)
(fine sand where female have their caves.. larger sand where I normally keep an Echinodorus or similar plant..)
Sometimes I use sorted Aqua-clay-sand of smaller size .. this often works OK too..
..but the redish color is not appreciated by everyone..
And also, as you said earlier, the amounts of food+amount/type of fishes+ regular maintanence + tank set-up (plants/snails?) will decide how the affect of restproducts will be!! (Many different combinations may work..! Long term / short term!)

Otherwise I guess that any sand in your tank probably will help against their shyness, since all the reflections from
the bare tank-bottom ought to make them pretty "tensed"..?? (creating fast moving shadows .. a sign for incoming attack in the wild ???? )
In my pics you can see what often works fine for me .. it`s giving the Apistos a "safe feeling" so to speak..always somewhere to "run"/swim.. if danger is coming..
Actually.. almost any similar "interior-gadgets"/decoration will achieve this "safe-spots"..!!

But.. Apistos may also be very cautious in their behaviours as long as you don`t have any dither-fishes swimming "above" or around them..
("If these fishes swimming above aren`t afraid, there are no reason for "us" to be afraid either..")
I guess it may be a natural reaction.. in case of any predators are coming from above?? (birds or others??)
Floating plants can also help out in this case..!
You may also get "fright"-problems if the tank is positioned at a place where you pass it many times every day.. or if it is placed low/close to the floor of the room..!

In these travel-reports you can see how it looks for many Apistos in nature !!
http://apisto.sites.no/default.aspx

Attachments

• 249.JPG
    249.JPG
    752.6 KB · Views: 323
  • 301.JPG
    301.JPG
    733.1 KB · Views: 301
Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bijouxcailloux

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….