• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A couple questions (Type and Behavior)

ntgCleaner

Hello all,

pre-note - I have a few specific questions that belong in other forum threads, but I think this is a good house for them all.

I recently set up my 36 gallon tank (Feb 10th) and have been planting and constantly checking water conditions. Everything has been stable and set for a while and this past weekend I decided to take a look around for some Apistogramma Cacatuoides.

I am very interested in getting some nice triple reds or double red blues, but my LFSs does not have any in stock (I went to six stores). All they had were what they called "Neon" apistos. They were all yellow. One of them had a single cockatoo, but it was, I believe a steel blue. I loved the color and it would compliment the Cardinals, so I picked it up

I dripped the blue steel apisto for an hour and then let him explore for a while. The next day, I found another fish store a good clip away, I called anyways and they said they had some of what I was looking for. When I got there, they had cockatoos, but none of them were reds. Anyways, I picked up a female, got home and dripped her for an hour, then let her go.

After about two minutes, they spotted each other and looked like they were bonding pretty well. The yellow female had ZERO black on her when she was placed in the tank, but when she got comfortable, she had some great black stripes and pec fins. They haven't separated since, but I have noticed some behavior that is unlike fighting, but not sure it's courtship either...

I took a video and I have a few questions about it.
1. What are the species/type of Cacatuoides here?
2. What kind of behavior is this? Is it just dominance? or was this an instant connection? (I've never seen the behavior at 2:45 in the video)
3. Is the blue one male and the yellow female as I suspect?

Here's the video link:

I really appreciate your feedback!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
1. The yellow fish appears to be an A. cacatuoides female (can't say what strain); the other fish is A. sp. Steel-blue
2. Dominance/territorial display
3. Yellow fish is a female; blue fish is probably a male.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….