• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. Agassizii Sexing ID, Needs Help!!

lukmana91

Hi there,

I just got myself a new additional Agassizii from the local LFS. None of them are able to id the sex of the fish.

In my tank, i currently have one male and one female. The third one, im not so sure. But i am mostly certain that it is female.

I read that i cant mix two males in one tank with only one female as the two males will fight and kill each other, which is the reason why im not eager to let the newcomer in before correctly id the sex.

What do you guys think ?

ps: If you guys need clearer pic, just comment.

Attachments

• IMG_1800.JPG
    IMG_1800.JPG
    430.5 KB · Views: 504
  • IMG_1801.JPG
    IMG_1801.JPG
    434.7 KB · Views: 448
  • IMG_1802.JPG
    IMG_1802.JPG
    405.9 KB · Views: 511
  • IMG_1803.JPG
    IMG_1803.JPG
    442.6 KB · Views: 529

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I need more information to be sure: size? domestic or wild-caught? My guess (only a guess right now) is that it is a female. As for fights and death, I find female against female territorial aggression worse than male against male. I recommend rearranging the tank decor. This removes previously established breeding territories. Doing this will give each fish a chance to establish its own territory. A floating piece of pipe at the surface provides a refuge for losers.

lukmana91

Thank you Mike for the reply.

The size is just a little smaller than the male that i have in my tank. It is domestic.

Here are some shots regarding the tank and the color development of the particular Aggie.

IMG_1812.JPG
IMG_1813.JPG
IMG_1814.JPG

IMG_1815.JPG
This is the color development of the aggie in question; is it a male or female?
IMG_1816.JPG

IMG_1817.JPG

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Looking at the last photo I would be concerned about the new fish having internal parasites. In my experience white, stringy faeces starts alarm bells ringing. Hopefully some-one might be able to add some detail about which parasites it might be. I'm fortunately only experienced Camallanus, but once was enough.

Tank looks good, but I'd also some sand. I'm not a great fan of bare bottom tanks generally, but particularly for Apistogramma which are <"geophagine cichlids"> and sand sifters.

cheers Darrel

lukmana91

Thanks dw1305 for the reply,

The tank is designed as temporary tank since im setting up the main tank. The main tank will have lots of sand for them to sift through.

You are right, it seems that they have intestinal parasite. The fish is currently on lockdown away from the tank. Anyone have any idea what should i do to treat it?

Still, anyone know the sex of the particular fish?

MickeM

5 Year Member
Hi all...

Agassizii is one of the most bred Apistos from a commercial point of view.. so non-"natural" versions are common in zoological stores..
..there are often several "Aquarium"-/Breeding-/Color- "strains" available..

Your last pics shows a fish with almost no blue glimmering on the gill cover + it has black markings on the short pelvic fins+ yellow color tone on the abdomen+cheek.. ( All these are common female signs on wild fishes,.. and sometimes also for small immature males, approx. <2cm )
One thing that confuses me is the slightly elongated dorsal+anal-fins..+ red color in the caudal, dorsal and anal fins!! (Normal signs on males!!!)
I think/guess that your fishes are not wild, but offspring from generations of selective breeding..
If so... I guess females may have the red color too!!
Beautyful fishes!!!.. but can be hard to ID the genders with 100% accuracy..:);)

If I will make a guess.. I`d say it is a female!!

BTW.. What kind of food do you feed them with ???

/Micke

Last edited:

lukmana91

Thank you for the responses,

As the day progresses on, the fish looks more male-like, especially with the elongated fins and spade like tail.

I am currently feeding them a combination of frozen bloodworms, cultured microworms and daphnia as occasional snacks.

Speaking of microworms, i heard that we should not feed it as a daily food as it contains a lot of fat and their are not healthy for the fish's development.

What do you guys think?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….