• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A agassizi Blue

Ghostfeather

Hi,
I have a 50 gal. tank that has been running for 2 years,it is a community tank,I am going to use it for Dwarf Chiclids.
It is heavily planted, I will have to rearrange some things to set it up for the Dwarf Chiclids.
Would it be possible to keep 2 pair of A agassizi Blue in it?
If (I don't know what happened to my font!!) decide to go with the Double Red,or Red,would it be okay to mix them?
Would 3 pair work in a tank that size?
Are Plecos safe to keep with,Bushy Nose?
Since I breed Show Bettas,I have a lot of Al to add to the tank also.
Sorry for all the questions!
Bill

slimbolen99

5 Year Member
I've never had much luck at keeping more than one pair or M/F/F trio of any variety of 'agassizi' in a tank 48" x 18" footprint, and that is with a LOT of cover. I don't know why, but they just seem to be more overly aggressive for me. I think you could try two pair of the blue agassizis if your 50 gal is a 48" x 18" footprint or larger, but wouldn't be surprised if you lost a male and/or female.

Plecos will eat apisto eggs / fry; they are one of the worst fish to keep in an apisto tank if you are wanting to breed apistos. Generally, however, they will not harm the adults; BUT, they will quarrel over the same territories, as plecos typically like caves on the bottom strata, just like apistos.

Hope that helps and good luck!

Ghostfeather

Thank you for the reply.
Plecos are out-how about Corys?
I am in the process of doing a really good cleaning,the tank is well cycled,I will get water readings posted in a couple of days.
Nitrates are the only thing that might be a bit high,but I can correct that.
Since I use AL in my Betta tanks,my water is real soft,in fact I just made 6 litters of my own extract.
Thanks in advance!!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Corys are not a good fish in a breeding tank. A community tank is not a breeding tank. Let's face it, do you keep other fish in the tanks where you breed your Bettas? You will be much more successful if you only kept a breeding trio or quartet (1 m; 3 f) + some top dwelling dither fish like pencilfish or hatchetfish. Forget adding bottom dwells, although Otocinclus are OK for spot algae cleaning

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Corys are not a good fish in a breeding tank. A community tank is not a breeding tank. Let's face it, do you keep other fish in the tanks where you breed your Bettas? You will be much more successful if you only kept a breeding trio or quartet (1 m; 3 f) + some top dwelling dither fish like pencilfish or hatchetfish. Forget adding bottom dwells, although Otocinclus are OK for spot algae cleaning

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apistokeeper

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….