• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

96L Juwel -> a loose biotope (Rio Paraguay river tributary, blackwaterish)

Miika Warsell

5 Year Member
Hello everyone,

I'm planning my very first aquarium and want it to be somewhat like a Paraguay/Uruguay river shore or blackwaterish stuff.

Added water 3 days ago. Did a fishless cycle with Prodibio Start Up. Water values as of yesterday are:
pH: 7.3
GH: 3
KH: 4
NH4: 0,04
NO3: 3
NO2: 0,07

Substrate is CaribSea Eco-Complete Planted Tank, black. Small gravel. Maybe a lighter coloured one would suit this project better, but they only had this for now (+ some reef stuff), and I think it looks good.

Currently have two mangrove driftwood in and a half coconut. I know neither is really a blackwater thing, but maybe this is a river bed? :) For some reason I don't really like the looks of the big root things in there.

Lighting will be done by 2 x 24W T5 once I get them. Any suggestions for brands and types? (I will use the Arcadia Ultra Seal Double Controller)

Anyway. To the living stuff. It has no plants yet. Limnobium laevigatum I'm soon getting to float on the top. Myriophyllum mattogrossense is known to grow somewhere there no? I'd love to have this as a background plant. Then Lilaeopsis brasiliensis or mauritania as a foreground stuff - lawn if I can make that.

Fish: 1 male + 2 female borellii from a local breeder, plus an additional female from LFS to spread the genes. (the 1 male + 2 female are from the same parents - is this too much interbreeding? I don't know much of this subject).

Probably Nannostomus marginatus to populate the upper parts of the tank.

How does it sound/look?

Thanks all. I'm happy I found this forum.

ps. filtration is done by Eheim Classic 250. But it seems to be a bit too efficient for my tank size. Is it ok to partially close some of the output valves in order to reduce the water flow?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OzzynHarriet

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….