• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

60 gallon

slickwillislim

5 Year Member
I recently purchased a 60 gallon tank (48.5x17.25x15.5") I purchased an xp2 with it, I got an inline eth heater and a glass hood with a light fixture. I havent set it up because my parents wont let me until i raise my japanese grade. With this in mind i have time to plan it out.

I was thinking about putting a colony of apistos in but I dont know what species I think I will have to put one of my bitaeniata pairs in there because they are getting chased around in my 29g. What apistos get along well with bitaeniata i as looking at Apistogramma eremnopyge but cant seem to find them online let alone at my lfs. Uwe Romers book says that bitaeniata like to be kept in groups but i would like to try a new apisto. I like the Extended finnage of bitaeniata and eremnopyge. Would a different colormorph of bitaeniata get along well I am completely open to suggestions.

Whats the cheapest way to find your ph. I nead a test that will go below six. I dont really have enough money left to buy a ph meter and if i did I would get the hanna ph/tds. I dont really want to buy a really crappy meter because thats just a waste of money in my eyes.

Thanks for the help.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I would suggest some species other than A. eremnopyge. This species is a member of the bitaeniata-group together with A. bitaeniata. This is some possiblility that they could cross-breed. I would suggest adding a macmasteri- or nijsseni-group species with your bitaeniata.

Back in the "old days" Tetra made 2 freshwater test kits. pH I tested waters from 4.8 to 7.4, if I remember correctly. It was accurate & fairly inexpensive. I don't know of anyone whose test kit goes that low now. Mardel has some test strips that go into the pH 5 range I believe. If you only have 1 or 2 tanks, they might be cost effective, but for more tanks they can get rather expensive. I suggest saving your money & buying the Hanna meter instead of a tank next time. You will be looking at an initial cost of about $200 for the meter, buffering compounds (pH 4 & 7), and probe stabilization fluid.

slickwillislim

5 Year Member
This is only my second tank. I am looking into the ph meter but i havent been serious about breeding so it isnt really neccassary. I am just looking for a way to know what my ph is in my rainwater after adding peat. I will look into the various apistos you suggested and I had the same worries about having to fish from the bitaeniata complex.

I got the tank mainly because i got it for a good deal along with the filter, heater, gravel, hood, and lights.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….