• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

275 ltr amazon style biotope stocking

peetz

My 275 ltr aquarium has been moving in a blackwater style amazon theme due to beech wood tannins and evergrowing frogbit and jungle val. My stocking is a bit of a mismatch in terms of a true biotope and I am intending on changing things slightly to be able to house a little apisto pair or harem.
I am moving on a big featherfin and half of my loaches to accomodate the apistos. The planned stocking would be the following:
12 columbian tetra
4 botia histronica
1 bristlenose
3 pearl gourami 1m, 2 f
2 rainbow cichlid m&f
2 siamese alg eat
and the apistos ofc

I have lots of wood, rocks and plants as well as dense frogbit on top for gouramis and if able to go with apistos ill addd more caves, branches for cover.
So my question is can this work and if so what apisto species be suitable??
Looking forward to hear your ideas and thoughts.

peetz

Can I also add my ph is 6.5 and my tank has sand substrate .....it is nearly 5 foot long....thanks

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Welcome to the apisto forum. I have to say that you have so many bottom dwelling fish already. I find Botia and apisto don't mix well. Botias seem to be continually poking their noses into every cave they find. If you are thinking about breeding apistos in this community you can put that out of your mind. It is very very unlikely. The brushynose will find all of the eggs and eat them and the tetras will pick off most - if not all - of the fry that appear. If you want to only include apistos into the community, then remove all of the botias, and probably the Rainbow Cichlids, and just add some male apistos.

peetz

Thanks
Welcome to the apisto forum. I have to say that you have so many bottom dwelling fish already. I find Botia and apisto don't mix well. Botias seem to be continually poking their noses into every cave they find. If you are thinking about breeding apistos in this community you can put that out of your mind. It is very very unlikely. The brushynose will find all of the eggs and eat them and the tetras will pick off most - if not all - of the fry that appear. If you want to only include apistos into the community, then remove all of the botias, and probably the Rainbow Cichlids, and just add some male apistos.
Thanks mike.....yeah thats cool....I wouldnt want to endanger any fish in my tank. I have a little 80 litre tank which I can patiently build up using mature plants and media from my large tank. Ill come back when im ready.
Thanks for the input :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….