• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

20 gallon TALL tank

DonDonnie

Hello everyone! I would like to ask if there are any species of apistogrammas that could do well in a 20 gallon tall

MacZ

Only A. borellii are suitable for longterm housing in such a tank. Far from ideal. You asked before, the answer there stands.

anewbie

Well a. pucallpaensis would be fine in a 20 high; a 20 high in general is a lousy aquarium for dwarf cichild because it doesn't add much to floor space which they need.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
What dimensions is a 20 tall? I have 3 different 20 gallon tanks with different surface dimension. The smallest in area is a 20 Show: 20"L x 10"W x 24" H (50cm L x 25cm W x 60cm H). Basically rests on a 10 gallon stand. It was great for growing out a young angelfish for show; it grew to have a 5"/12.5cm body with really long dorsal and anal fins with no bends. Otherwise it is a waste of height.

DonDonnie

Only A. borellii are suitable for longterm housing in such a tank. Far from ideal. You asked before, the answer there stands.
Thanks for the response, I did ask before yes, but I did want to make sure that there would be some somewhat workable species. Would it work better if I heavily planted it with really large decorations for line of sight breaks?

DonDonnie

Assuming I really could not keep any apistogrammas in my 20 tall without issue, would something like nannacara anomala work better?

MacZ

Would it work better if I heavily planted it with really large decorations for line of sight breaks?
Somewhat, but it really boils down to the unfortunate dimensions of the tank.
Assuming I really could not keep any apistogrammas in my 20 tall without issue, would something like nannacara anomala work better?
You can rather assume that it applies not only to the different Apistogramma species but to all dwarf cichlids.

anewbie

Much worse; not only are they larger fishes the female with a brood will slaughter the male in such a small aquarium. I've had problerms with a 29 that is densely scaped; i'd recommend a min of a 40 for a pair of nannacara anomala - great fish but more issues will exist. Borelli while not as interesting as a fish are extremely nice looking if you find a quality male.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Personally, a 20H is sufficient for an A. borellii pair - depending on the lay-out of the tank and your personal experience with breeding apistos. I've been successful in a 10 gallon tank at times, but I have 45+ years of breeding apistos. It seems I can often read their body language and react to it before problems arise.

DonDonnie

Thank you all for the responses, I will more than likely reconsider and try to get a 20 gallon long, if not a 29 gallon

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….