• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

10 A. borelli...10 males

M

mette

I'm new to Apistogramma (and the forum). I just picked up 10 A. borelli from my LFS last week. I have been planning a 55 gallon biotope tank for a small group of A. borelli or A. trifasciata since I got interested in aquariums last year. I'm a convert from Dendrobatid frog keeping.

Anyhow, my LFS never has Apistogramma, not to mention the species I was interested in, so i jumped on them. I thought the group looked like mostly males, and I bought every fish they had to try and maximize the number of pairs I got, but now i'm pretty sure it's all males. All have the long pectoral rays, most have an obvious high dorsal, and the smallest fish is probably 4 cm total length. Some fish have quite a bit of black lateral marking, however.

So my question is, should I try to find some females someplace; hold out and see if some don't turn out to be female after all; or cut my losses, take them back to the LFS, and try to get a new group off Aquabid or wherever? Any opinions would be helpful.

Thanks,
Jeff Mette

borelli_1.jpg
borelli_2.jpg
borelli_3.jpg

edit: added pictures

fishgeek

unfortunately jeff i think you have experienced the steel blue problem
when purchasing these fish almost everyone only ever recieves males

if the fish shop will take them back that maybe your best option

i have a pair that i have managed to spwan - it seems that at 25.5 degree's celsisu i am going to get predominatly males
if i have the chance i intend to raise the young at lower temperatures 23-24 and see what kind of ratio i may acheive

andrew

Apisto ranch

5 Year Member
I'd say thous are steel blues. I know there almost always all male. Aaren't they a hybird? I've read alot of post and listened to alot people fighting with there LFS to get females. With no luck. But surly there's females out there or there wouldn't be all these male around right?

M

mette

Thanks for the info guys. I read up on A. sp. Steel Blue (argh!), and I'm going to see what the LFS will do for me.

Microman

5 Year Member
If these were sold as A Borelli i would definately take them back as they are indeed Apisto SP Steelblue. A hybrid Apisto reputedly bred in Asia. You never see females for sale so you probably do have all males im afraid.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mugsey2

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….