• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How to distinguish female A. allpahuayo from A. cacatuoides?

aarhud

5 Year Member
What are the key differences between female A. allpahuayo and A. cacatuoides?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The caudal spot on A. alpahuayo is distinctly separated from the lateral band. On A. cacatuoides the lateral band is continuous into the base of the caudal fin. It does pinch and swell in the caudal peduncle, but it is continuous.

aarhud

5 Year Member
Image1467743778.653824.jpg
Image1467743812.405733.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aarhud

5 Year Member
Either of those pictures useful? I can get better photos when they come out of the pond.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aarhud

5 Year Member
Uh oh.

I'll pull the fish from the pond and take some better pictures when I get a chance. Hopefully we can figure out what they are.

aarhud

5 Year Member
I just pulled them from the pond. So they are super stressed. What other kind of shots do you guys need? Unstressed?

Here is a video:

aarhud

5 Year Member
Unfortunately I only have an Iphone. I can try my wifes phone, it has a better camera. Do you need the fish stressed for the photographs?

Do the fish look like A. bitaeniata to you Mike?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
IMO (biased, of course), smart phones are 'a jack of all trades - and a master of none' - not even as phones;). Even an inexpensive point & shoot camera usually gives better close-focus photos. I find video captures usually aren't good enough for ID purposes, either (too often the fish are too small, out of focus and moving too fast). It's best if the fish fills most of the frame. Ideally, for ID purposes, the fish should be oriented perpendicular (broadside) to the lens with the both eye and caudal fin in focus. Dark markings on the body and shape of the fins are important for identification, so fish that show high aggression (females) or stress pattern (both sexes) are preferred. It's uncommon to see both fin shape and dark markings on the same picture, so 2 - 4 different photos of fish in different moods really helps.

Yes, the fish could be A. bitaeniata, but it could belong to several other species, too.

aarhud

5 Year Member
These should be much better. I can keep trying if the photos are not clear enough for a proper ID.
https://goo.gl/photos/MtKNZ8qiXCo8zRfq6

Can you view the pictures on google +? Photobucket is becoming annoying with popups and ads. I need to find a new image hosting website.

Last edited:

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
They are definitely species in the bitaeniata-group. They probably are A. bitaeniata, but one rarely sees a second abdominal stripe on the flanks, just the lateral band and 1 abdominal stripe. The male hasn't produce elongated anterior dorsal rays either. Maybe he is still young, I don't know.

aarhud

5 Year Member
Thank you Mike! At least we have it narrowed down. So are you saying I do have a male? I thought all four fish females. If I do indeed have mixed sexes, that makes me more comfortable.

My camera died so I stopped my photo shoot yesterday. I got the hang of the camera near the end, so I can produce more pictures if that will help. You were right, the 3 year old point did a far better job than the new Iphone. Putting the fish in my specimen container with a desk lamp overhead made for some decent shots once I had the camera set correctly.

Edited to add:
The fish are still young, but should be on the verge of sexual maturity. I purchased them in February.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sortof_here

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….