• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma Baenschi

Granamyr

I picked up 3 of these a couple weeks ago and they were all under an inch long. At what size does the male coloring start to show up? I'm afraid I have 3 females unfortunately.

I haven't been able to get decent pictures of them really yet as they are still exploring things and stay close to the driftwood in the tank not coming out enough to get good pictures often

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Size doesn't matter as much as age. One should see a difference in sexes at 4 - 6 months. At this age properly fed and maintained males should be 2"/5 cm or larger. Hopefully your fish are just too young to sex.

Granamyr

Very good to hear that it shouldn't be until then. Everything I was reading was black on the pectoral fins meant it's a female. All 3 have black 2 of them the majority of the pectoral fins are black. So I am hoping I have 1 male 2 females but I just need to wait. The one with less black has longer pec fins to

Carol Waterhouse

I have also picked up a trio of baenschi inka i's, they have come in very emaciated, they do have a good appetite but I believe I am going to have to undertake a wormer as soon as possible.This seems to be the norm for imported stock lately. So frustrating! Also seems to have been a problem with gill fluke in some of the specimens also. So just warning buyers to be careful and always quarantine.

regani

5 Year Member
A way of quickly sexing younger A. baenschi that works well for me is to catch them and have a closer look at the colouration - generally colour doesn't mean that much, but for baenschi the young males show a blue sheen when out of the water and the females a yellow/light green sheen. This really only works when they are out of the water and from about 3-4 months old. The males are fairly easy to get this way, females 80-90% in my experience. This doesn't work when they are still too young.

Granamyr

I am just going to have to wait and see. I am pretty sure I would have to take every piece of decoration out of my tank to get those little buggers and they are still awfully small so I don't think it would work quite yet. Thanks you for the suggestion though. I think I have a really good chance that I have 2 females and one male based on their temperament in the tank. I'll just have to be patient

Granamyr

Here is one that I'm pretty sure is a female. I'll try to get pictures of the others but they are harder to get good ones of. Not that this one is a great picture

Attachments

• IMG_0347[1].JPG
    IMG_0347[1].JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 595

Granamyr

Well it appears I have all females, I have my local fish store though searching for a male for me and they want one of the females as a trade so that will be a nice thing

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….