• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sex of these apistogramma bitaeniata tefe

lamchops

apisto bug bit me and i went out and found someone local selling 2 pairs of bitaeniata tefe

well i know for sure there is 2 males and 1 female but the fourth one i am stumped.

Thanks in advance.

male number one

male number two

female number one

Unknown sex

lamchops

Last photo shows all the markings of being a young male to me. Still, better photos of the caudal would be very helpful.

Thanks again Mike.
Yea I told the seller that he might have given me 3 males.
I will definitely get some more shots of this guy tonight and post it.

MickeM

5 Year Member
Females usually don't show many markings in the caudal fin. I would worry.
OK Mike + lamchops .. I will have to hold back my enthusiasm a bit then... it sure looks like a female though..
Quite yellow + no metallic blue color on gill covers.. + almost no patterns on the dorsal/anal fin-tips..+ the realtively short pelvic fins..+ it doesn`t seem to show any elongated first spines in the dorsal fin (like males will get when growing up..)

But if this is the only possible/available option from this order of bitaeniata that lamchops can get.., andif the size is approx. 2,5cm or longer , I sure would grab it !!
Especially if these are Wild caught bitaeniata.. since you never know what specimen of bitaeniata that will come(if they come!!) to the Pet Store with the next order..
..if they will come/be available at all !!??
I`ve had so many situations waiting for 2nd orders of Wild Apistos , and they never come..
since all were "blanked"/sold out .. at/on the wholesalers stock list!!

... and one more thing... these last "female"-pics are taken in a tank with quite intensive/much light.. and with no sand/substrate on the tank-bottom..so "some" pattern may exist on a female caudal fin???

Last edited:

lamchops

Females usually don't show many markings in the caudal fin. I would worry.

OK Mike + lamchops .. I will have to hold back my enthusiasm a bit then... it sure looks like a female though..
Quite yellow + no metallic blue color on gill covers.. + almost no patterns on the dorsal/anal fin-tips..+ the realtively short pelvic fins..+ it doesn`t seem to show any elongated first spines in the dorsal fin (like males will get when growing up..)

But if this is the only possible/available option from this order of bitaeniata that lamchops can get.., andif the size is approx. 2,5cm or longer , I sure would grab it !!
Especially if these are Wild caught bitaeniata.. since you never know what specimen of bitaeniata that will come(if they come!!) to the Pet Store with the next order..
..if they will come/be available at all !!??
I`ve had so many situations waiting for 2nd orders of Wild Apistos , and they never come..
since all were "blanked"/sold out .. at/on the wholesalers stock list!!

... and one more thing... these last "female"-pics are taken in a tank with quite intensive/much light.. and with no sand/substrate on the tank-bottom..so "some" pattern may exist on a female caudal fin???

i know for sure now i have 4 males.
2 alpha one and 2 of the supposed female turned out a male they are starting to grow their streamers
also the fifth one of the 3rd female, looks promising as a female
1. is a lighter shade then the rest of the 4
2. the top fins are curved looking instead of sharp streamer growing look.

lamchops

fingers are crossed hoping this is a female.

shall I start taking the bigger 2 males out of the tank and possibly leave the 2 smaller males that is the same size as the possible female?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
If your tank is large enough I'd keep the 2 best looking males in with the female. This should keep the males occupied with each other more than the female. In this case, I'd have a floating pipe at the surface if one male is super-aggressive. I find that older males don't bother females as much as 'young bucks'. Also make sure the water is soft and acidic (< pH 6.3) for best breeding results.

lamchops

currently have them in a 17 gallon rimless. sort of planted enough plants for them to seek shelter, some cichlid stones and some sponges with holes in them.

I will move two of the smaller males into my quarantine tank.

also I have some Indian almond leaves soaking inside the tank and I will definitely bump some co2 into the tank to level out the ph to around 6.3

lamchops

I think a 17 gallon tank is too small for 3 fish. Go with a pair and hope for the best. Not a fan of adjusting pH with CO2, but to each their own.

how do you adjust PH? do you use crushed corals?

im currently cycling a 45 gallon tank for them when that is done ill transfer them over.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Crushed coral will raise the pH and carbonate hardness (dKH). You want to lower these values. I don't know about your water, but my tap water is relatively soft. I can easily lower the pH by cycling tap (or RO water for true blackwater species) water through sphagnum peat, in a container separate from the aquarium. I then just use it to make partial water changes. I am not a fan of doing this in an aquarium with fish. IMHO playing 'chemistry set' with living organisms is not a good idea.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meghanbe

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….