• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Thinking about a 125 gallon tank set up...

KevinC

5 Year Member
Have not been in the hobby for years, but thinking of getting back into it. I have a 125 gal. 72" x 18" x 22" sitting empty that I want to set up. I also have a ton of driftwood in varying shapes, sizes, types.

This is what I am realistically planning: Black sand, driftwood scattered to create intricate sight line breaks, some flat rocks placed randomly, 1 small rock formation (no clue why, just seems like the thing to do), heavily planted areas to create additional sight line breaks and reinforce some driftwood sight breaks, suspended driftwood along back to simulate root system, and floating plants (I forget the name of them, like a small floating lily, but they are readily available here in SoCal and worked perfectly for me in the past).

7 Bolivian Rams (Mikrogeophagus altispinosus)
12 Dither - Blue Emperor Tetra (Inpaichthys kerri)
12 Dither - Ember Tetra (Hyphessobrycon amandae): These might be too small tho...
6 Corydorus pygmaeus
3 Otocinclus: add more if needed as tank matures
12 Guppy (Poecilia reticulata): Some natural variety that will provide a ton of fry to be hunted down, ie, allowing for natural behaviors.

I feel this is pretty solid start, but any input is appreciated...

Now 6 months after that, once plants are more established and things are in swing, some random questions. Would it be possible to:
1) Add another dwarf cichlid type, such as Apistogramma agassizii, Festivum, Keyhole, or Nannacara anomala?
2) Would a larger fish, such as a Festivum hanging around at top of the tank chill out aggression below (if aggression was an issue)?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Interesting community. I tend to agree with you that the H. amandae would be too small to keep with the I. kerri, which can be a bit 'pushy' with smaller fish. I'd try a larger schooling tetra or maybe keep the H. amandae and replace the I. kerri with another smaller, more mellow species. Adding additional territorial bottom-dwelling cichlids after the Rams have staked out their territories might create problems. The Keyholes or Festivums might cause less problems than apistos. I doubt that mid-level fish will "chill out aggression below" since they aren't really in the Rams' territories - at least until the Festivums want to breed. Why not try it and let us know how it works.

KevinC

5 Year Member
Thanks for the input, Mike Wise. I am gonna scratch this idea for now. I picked up 2 40 gallon breeders and going to ease myself back into the hobby. I want to establish, for myself, that I can actually grow and maintain alot of plants before I try it with bigger water.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apistokeeper

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….