• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tap water for dwarf cichlid

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
This is what I found at a garden store today. The sales told me it should be pure because it is organic.
That should be fine. How far it will soften your water and reduce the pH depends upon the hardness and alkalinity of your tap water.

Have a look a the links in this thread <"Nijsenni">.

cheers Darrel

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
At 83°F/28.5°C most apistos age faster and die earlier. The moss should be fine, as long as it has no fertilizers nor fungicides in it. These should be listed on the package if they have them.

Cookie_apisto

What about breeding? They need 83 degree to breed? I just bought a female cacatuoides that carry eggs already buy i just lower the temp to 80 before i bought her

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Apistos don't need high temperatures to breed. Based on research by Römer & Beißenherz apisto sex ratios at 83°F/28.5°C will produce mostly males for most species. 26°C/79°F temperature produces a 50/50 sex ratio. I keep my fish room at 25°C/77°F because I prefer to get a few more females in a brood.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
It doesn't really matter what it is sold as, so long as there are no additives. Some peat is sold with fertilizers and fungicides added to it. It should say this on the package. It is a selling point for some uses, after all.

gerald

5 Year Member
Maybe, maybe not. Depends whether you trust marketing staff to accurately identify what they're selling. Usually if it has fertilizer in it, that's a selling point they would want you to know.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
When in doubt try some on some 'test fish', like a Neon Tetra. If nothing harmful happens, then it should be fine. Think about it. Additives cost money so they will be advertised on the packaging somewhere.

Cookie_apisto

Do you guys use black blackground paper to cover the back of the tank for your dwarf? I did that on my tank and my german blue ram keep swimming at the back that seem he thinks there is other male in the tank.

Cookie_apisto

Hey guys is this one pure with no additives? Anyone have experience with it?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 369

MickeM

5 Year Member
Do you guys use black blackground paper to cover the back of the tank for your dwarf? I did that on my tank and my german blue ram keep swimming at the back that seem he thinks there is other male in the tank.

Correct...This is a common behaviour..
They "start a fight with themselves" so to speak..!!:confused::)

It can be a bore to look at in the long run... if you actually want to see "natural" behaviours...
I often buy dark (black, brown, green) paper/cardboard and put it behind+around the tank..folding it around the corners..
in that way you may avoid some mirror effects/reflections.. if it`s placed a few cm from the tank..
It is also a good method to use when you keep new fishes in a quarantine tank for a while..!!
If I only put an Apisto-pair in the tank I also/usually put some paper around the front corners in the beginning .. to prevent any stress/fear!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….