• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dilemma

Pauly

Hi all
As I said in an earlier post ....I purchased four Macmasteri three weeks ago ...two destined for a 40 gal community tank and two for a 20 gal. species tank with the hope of breeding ..( 20 gal to be picked up this week ) . Four fish now in a 15 gal quarantine planted tank. Buying the Macmasteri was a bit premature but they are available so rarely in our area that I jumped at the chance of buying them. Looked like I had two females and two males and they looked young/small so I thought that I would get away with them all together for a month etc.. Anyway the chemistry changed in the quarantine tank overnight...I had one dominant male who ruled and the next morning I had one very yellow colored female who was the boss..... never straying too far from a coconut cave...only to occasionally bully the other fish including the once dominant male. What to do....should I try to remove all the other fish...leave the dominant male ..remove the dominant male also...it's a planted tank....so not easy without disrupting everything ....and would that cause the female to eat/destroy eggs ( if that's what's happening ) .Should I just leave everything to see what happens. Any ideas ?

MickeM

5 Year Member
Hi Pauly + all....

The area of the tank+ structure and amount of decorations are the keyfactors ..
Many caves/hiding-places can give some "safe-spots" for the rest of your fishes... But...., with only 15 gal/60 liter I guess you will probably
end up with some severe beating on the 2 xtra fishes ... and maybe even the dominant male will not be safe in there..;):)
Apisto-females are famous for their aggressions/motherly instincts during periods with eggs/fry!!!
...and they "test" if the male is co-operative or not !!

My experiences are.. that you often will need a length of 2-3 feet/60-80cm as a minimum+ some added sight-barriers for the male(+other fishes).. to have/get some spaces where they can avoid the female protective behaviours.. (which is a direct necessity in nature) !!!
If the female isn`t the bullying one in your case.., probably the male will be instead..
(Normal gender roles: Female priority is to protect+stay close to the eggs/fry, male priority is to protect his+ his female/s territory+offspring.. !!
This create some sort of internal + external defense-zones..!)

In your situation, I would remove the 2 xtra Apistos if possible..and keep an xtra eye on how the couple co-act/-exist together ..
After all ..this is probably their 1st spawn I guess!!??
Experienced Apisto-pairs often seem to be more used to the task/situation I think...

Females rarely eat their own eggs/fry.. even if they get a little interupted/disturbed for a short while...(too big investment has already been done by them in this situation.. they mostly "fight until the end" !!):)
..so I would try to net the others out of the tank..
You may succeed as it is.. if you keep your tank loaded with leaves+plants+caves+roots... , but I really doubt it !

Good Luck !

/Micke

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meghanbe

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….