• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma nijsseni male or female? Tankmates?

Apistogramma8777

Hello, i am new to this forum so i apologize in advance for any mistakes.

I brought a pair of apistos three months back, while looking online my supposed to be doesnt look like a male, so i am wondering do i have two females? I have provided an image each of the two fish,

Also my tank is 26 gallons, ph is 6.5 and all other reading s are correct.
So would this stocking be sutible
4 apistogramma 3f 1m
10 pencilfish species
10 lemon tetra or 10 marbled hatchfish

Tank you
20151121_102156_HDR.jpg
20151121_102141_HDR.jpg

Apistogramma8777

Looks like two females to me ... and they're nice ones!

Thank you, they are showing full colours, as i cleared the plants and now they can see each other.

My guess is that if you add 3 females and 1 male A. nijsseni in such a small tank that you will end up with a pair and 2 dead females.

Wow are they really that aggressive, i read online they are but mine seem passive. What would you recommend i just keep the females, i am not too fussed about breeding them.

Thanks

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Nijsseni-group species tend to form semi-permanent breeding pairs. Once a pair forms, they try to drive out other apistos. In a small tank like yours the extra fish can't leave the breeding pair's territory, so are harassed. This usually leads to their death if not removed.

gerald

5 Year Member
The females might get along just fine if there's no male present, and thus no eggs to defend. So yeah you can probably just keep the females. If you do want to breed them someday, get another tank and a male. You will probably have no trouble finding people who want the offspring.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csteele

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….