• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Confirmation of Species

MrHongSA

Hoping someone can confirm which colour morph of apistogramma hongsloi I have in my possession..
uploadfromtaptalk1447276637362.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1447276688557.jpg

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated looking forward to feedback.

Kind regards
Mrhong

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
It looks like a domestic strain of 'A. hongsloi' to me. Usually sold as Hongsloi II/Red/Super-red, etc. It probably is a mix of several different populations/species/forms that compose the hongsloi-complex. It isn't the true (holotype form) A. hongsloi, which shows almost no red along the anal fin insertion and almost no red on the caudal spot. Nor is it the wild Rotstrich population. which shows no red on the face. Several populations/forms in the hongsloi-complex show red marking on the face plus black abdominal markings, etc.

MrHongSA

Thanks guys that's basically what I was wanting to know.. I'm super stoked with these fish and really love them.. they seem to have settled in well and the female is colouring up nicely... at what size will the female start to breed as she is a third of the males size at the moment...

Again thank you very much

Kind regards
Mrhong

MickeM

5 Year Member
Hi..
I´ve experienced Apisto-females spawning already at the size of 1,5-2cm..(less than an inch..)
These were Ap. borelli/ trifasciata/ baenschi/ spec."Vielfleck"/ cf. ortegai "Pebas".. so I guess your female is quite ready from what I can see by your pics !!???
Good food for a couple of days + a small waterchange ougt to start them to spawn.. as long as the waterparameters are quite OK!!:);)

MrHongSA

Thanks guys. She does seem to be showing good colour I'm just not seeing a full and fat belly to indicate eggs... will post some more images

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meghanbe

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….