• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

hello from canada

mgfiest

Decide to venture with dwarf cichlids... So 90gal tank with 2 Bolivian, 2 bgr, 2 bn pleco, 2 angelfish and 4 tetra without live plants... Gave up on live plants...

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Decide to venture with dwarf cichlids... So 90gal tank with 2 Bolivian, 2 bgr, 2 bn pleco, 2 angelfish and 4 tetra without live plants... Gave up on live plants...
I'd really recommend trying again with live plants, a floater like "Amazon Frogbit" may be a good option for you.

Have a look at this thread <"How much light...."> on this forum, and <"Aquarium care"> at ApistoBob's Dwarf Cichlid web site, it is a really useful site.

cheers Darrel

MickeM

5 Year Member
Welcome to the forum mgfiest..!!

... don`t forget... if it is not the Pleco`s eating plants...
you may have been introduced into his hobby in the 1980`-90`s.. If so.., you have probably been overwhelmed(like me!!)
by the info that a tank can not function without a powerhead/ pump on maximum effect ..leading to a storm in the tank. (often creating major deaths of plants, stressed fishes + a personal "low" in interest/commitment to the tank...)
since it all may have ended in an algae-/waterchanging-/restless-/panic increasing-chaos!!

..and also - the info given about feeding was the amount for a smaller creek...!!:)

If feeding relatively controlled.. pollution will not occur..

As long as the tankwater is not polluted with restproducts you may keep a slow-flow strategy.. and then enough oxygene enters via the surface anyway!!
(..if not feeding heavily /or with incorrect /unbalanced type of food ..often too much protein..+ not being adviced froozen/live food)

...this "Slow-flow" often results in more CO2 left in the tank for plants to thrive from/on..
...which then creates natural hidingplaces/ "safe zones"..
....which often leads to natural behaviours showing...!!
.....Making it really interesting!!!

And also...if you are about to focus on Apistos and/or Plants... do not use calcareous material in the tank.. (sand /gravel/rocks/pebbles)
... and I guess the same info is valid for Pelvichachromis species or other small cichlids from rivers/swamps in Africa too..
.....The only small cichlids which appreciate that kind of material in the tank might be the Neolamprologus or Julidochromis from Lake Tanganyika..

Search around in this forum and you will definately/probably learn more of how to "scape" your personal tank...

mgfiest

Thanks for the replies ..., been doing live plants for 10+ years and decided to go with rocks and driftwood and some fake long plants around the drift... Needed a change.... If I no like then the real stuff will come back☺

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
been doing live plants for 10+ years and decided to go with rocks and driftwood and some fake long plants around the drift...
You don't need to have plants for the fish, they often come from waters where there are just dead leaves, and definitely no aquatic plants.

Have a look at <"Collecting in the Rio Tapiche...">

I like plants because of their positive effect on water quality, the fish just need cover. Many people are successful at keeping Apistogramma in tanks without plants, but I like all the help I can get.

cheers Darrel

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….