• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Two new articles of interest to apistophiles

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Last month two new articles were published I found interesting.

The first is:

Römer, Uwe & David P. Soares. 2015. Anmerkungen zu Identifizierung von Apistogramma payaminonis und
eines weiteren Zwergbuntbarsches aus dem peruanisch-ekuadorianischen Amazonas-Einzug mit Anmerkungen zur Biologie im Aquarium [Remarks on the identification of Apistogramma payaminonis and another dwarf cichlid from the Peruvian-Ecuadoraian Amazon drainage with remarks on biology in the aquarium.]. DCG-Informationen 46 (9): 222-229.​

One thing I found really interesting in this paper is that Römer's A. sp. affin. payaminonis appears to be different from A. cf. payaminonis (Pantoja) that TomC, Julio Melgar, and I collected near Pantoja, Peru in 2012. Compared to A. cf. payaminonis (Pantoja), Römer & Soares' A. sp. affin. payaminonis has much more massive jaws and lips. I can't say whether this is due to environmental/feeding differences in the aquarium or if we are dealing with 2 different forms/species/populations. I'm guessing that commercial imports are the source of live specimens of A. sp. affin. payaminonis and we don't know the precises collecting locality. This paper is published in the German Cichlid Association's journal and only in German.

The second is:

Staeck, Wolfgang. 2015. The Apistogramma species of the Orinoco basin: review of the revision of 2011. Buntbarsche Bulletin #285 (Sept.): 34-59.
This article shows photos of most of the new species found in the revision. This paper is published in the American Cichlid Association's journal and is in English.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apistokeeper

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….