• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Question: one month old fry

WendyKL

Hello,

I currently have ten apisto fry (one month old). They are in a 15 gallon planted tank by themselves - eating baby brine shrimp, Hikari First Bites, ground up Sustainable Aquatics Hatchery Diet and a couple of the bigger fry are starting to eat my smallest black worms.
I have a few questions: how long can these fry stay together (do not want any in breeding).
If I do set up separate male and female tanks for these fry - what size requirements do I need? I currently have this tank that they are currently in, a ten gallon community tank (could acommodate one more fish) , and another 20 gallon community tank (which could acommodate a couple more fish). I can set up another 10 gallon, but that's about it. I know another option is to bring them to LFS but I'm not super excited about doing this.
Thanks in advance.

gerald

5 Year Member
Remove the males one by one as they start to show male color and fin development. Placed in a male-only tank out of view of the females, they (hopefully) wont fight too much and you can probably raise 5 or 8 males together in a 10 gal tank. I would chop the blackworms on a cutting board before feeding to Apistos smaller than 2". Small fish can sometimes "choke" and die after swallowing whole blackworms.

WendyKL

One thing that I was thinking - since I have two community tanks up and running (with other tropical fish) - would it work to move some of those other fish around - once my apisto fry are big enough - so that I have then spread out the apistos between three community tanks - depending on whether or not I have more males than females - say -have two of the tanks with male apistos and one of the tanks with the females - does this make sense? BTW - I have zero interest in breeding again (for now anyway) way way way too much work - between water changes, growing bbs, frequent feedings - these fish should cost $100/ a piece - if you figured in the man hours spent on making this all happen - all this being said - I'm totally in love with my babies - I can see how you can get hooked!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sortof_here

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….