• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramoides Pucallpaensis breeding experience

deliriouz

Picked up four wc pulcallpaensis a couple of months ago. Kept in a 30l planted tank, with four juvenile electric blues rams that I had bred. Initially they were very shy and were always hiding amongst the vegetation. Sexing was impossible when young but over time the dominant male developed speckled patterns on the tailfin and a more extended dorsal fin edge. I was guessing that two were probably female and the fourth a subdominant male.

Seemed peaceful to conspecifics and the rams. Over time they gathered courage and now swim occasionally out of the foliage to forage for food. not too fussy eaters, and were easy to convert to dry granules (sera discus). Conditioned with live black worms.

Two weeks ago, the male started to become territorial and began harassing the rams. Also one of the females began doing the same - darting back and forth from a small piece of driftwood. Didn't think too much as the female hadn't turned yellower.

Nearly a week ago, she finally emerged with tiny fry. They were not much larger than ram fry. Fed them for a few days on vinegar eels and they seem to be feeding on bbs as of yesterday. On close inspection of the female, the breeding dress isn't much different..maybe a touch yellower.

Despite some reports on the net, the female has been an excellent parent, perhaps helped by the presence of other fish to keep her mind on the job.

Overall a relatively peaceful dwarf cichlid and seems quite robust and easy to breed. It isn't the most colorful but it's small size (maller than trifasciatas) makes them perfect for nano setups.

deliriouz

Colony still going strong..onto the 4th generation now.Despite not segregating the fry, a few survive to continue on. The f1+ males are better coloured than the f0s, perhaps because of the adaptation to my tap water conditions...PH 7.2 Kh 6

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….