• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma agassizi Cuipeua Spawn

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Just an FYI. Your fish are the same as A. cf. agassizii (Netz/Alenquer). These 2 towns (or town of Alenquer and Lago Cuipeua) are <10mi./16km from each other.

Second Hand Pat

Just an FYI. Your fish are the same as A. cf. agassizii (Netz/Alenquer). These 2 towns (or town of Alenquer and Lago Cuipeua) are <10mi./16km from each other.

Hi Mike, Yes I know that. I labelled them under the name they were sold under, but remember that the Alenquer region is a good sized area. I know that there are local variation in the wild discus. I have personally keep Trombeta, Cuipeua, Curai and Pacoval wild discus. Not sure if there are local variations in the apistos however.
Pat

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I see no problem using the Cuipeua location name. The agassizii-complex species found north of the main channel of the Amazon for the Rio/Lago Juanuai (lower Rio Negro) east to the Rio Jari all appear to be forms of the same species - A. cf. agassizii (Netz).

Second Hand Pat

I see no problem using the Cuipeua location name. The agassizii-complex species found north of the main channel of the Amazon for the Rio/Lago Juanuai (lower Rio Negro) east to the Rio Jari all appear to be forms of the same species - A. cf. agassizii (Netz).

Thanks Mike, I do have a male which was sold under the "Alenquer" label which is a bit different then the male of this pair. I bought the Alenquer pair a while ago and lost the female in the overflow. This is him below. I do suspect that there could be local variations in the fish.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/129594174@N08/

Second Hand Pat

Moving the entire family to a much larger tank with a bit of sand and wood. Moved the male first, then the female and added the fry close to the female since she is their focal point. As soon as I added the female this happened.

I will be removing the male today so can focus on growing out the current batch. :)

Second Hand Pat

Have a question for you guys. The fry are becoming independent and I still have then on live BBS. They are about 1/2 inch now. What should they be transitioned too food wise. I can start them on a little crushed flake but I would like more food options at this stage.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I feed live BBS to all my apistos almost exclusively because I'm too lazy to acclimate juveniles to dry foods. I also feed some frozen foods of suitable size from time to time.

Second Hand Pat

I feed live BBS to all my apistos almost exclusively because I'm too lazy to acclimate juveniles to dry foods. I also feed some frozen foods of suitable size from time to time.

Thanks Mike :) I would have not issue with continuing the live BBS as I am making it for my baby altums. In another three weeks or so these guys will be ready to go to new homes and I rather these guys are eating something beside BBS.
Pat

chris1805

5 Year Member
Just a question, have often do you feed your apisto's with fry? I have 1 A macmasteri fry left, it's 3.5 months old but it's the same size as your fry is at 22 days.

Second Hand Pat

Just a question, have often do you feed your apisto's with fry? I have 1 A macmasteri fry left, it's 3.5 months old but it's the same size as your fry is at 22 days.

Hi Chris, I feed the fry about two or three times a day. I'm careful about not overfeeding. The fry are with mom in a 50 gallon which is half full. The male is in a different tank as I do not want the pair spawning at this time. I also do a couple 50% water changes a week. When I raised fry when my wild discus spawned I learned two things; fry need good food and clean water. While apisto fry do not seem near as demanding as discus fry I feel that the same principles apply.
Pat

macmasteri

You fry grow quickly, faster than my Macmasteri.
At 1 month I start to give frozen, crushed flake, live Daphnia and mosquitoes larves and freez dried Tubiflex (works very well) and a lot of BBS.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….