• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Dicrossus warzeli

Mol_PMB

I visited Aqualife Leyland yesterday, and came away with a pair of Dicrossus warzeli.
I've had D.filamentosus from them previously, which have bred for me, so I thought I'd try another similar species.

Incidentally, they also had D.maculatus and had only just sold their last D.foirni, so if you want chequerboards in the UK it's a good place to call!

The new pair seem to have settled in to their tank nicely and are flirting already; they've both had a look inside one of the coconut caves too. They're in a 90L with 9 Otos for company.

These pics were taken when they had been in the tank only an hour; they've settled some more since then. I'm looking forward to seeing how they develop.

If anyone has experience of breeding D.warzeli that they could share, that would be great. Otherwise I'll treat them like D.filamentosus and see what happens :)

Cheers,
Paul

Attachments

• D_warzeli_m.jpg
    D_warzeli_m.jpg
    360 KB · Views: 766
  • D_warzeli_m2.jpg
    D_warzeli_m2.jpg
    352.1 KB · Views: 865
  • D_warzeli_f.jpg
    D_warzeli_f.jpg
    919.5 KB · Views: 785
  • d_warzeli_pr.jpg
    d_warzeli_pr.jpg
    588.1 KB · Views: 848
  • D_warzeli_coconut.jpg
    D_warzeli_coconut.jpg
    615.7 KB · Views: 827

Mol_PMB

Quite a rare find! Good luck with the pair. Is the tail in the male a distinguishing feature as it is for maculata and filamentosa?
There's not a great deal online about them, although the official description is available for free download. It looks like the male's tail should be more like a maculatus than a filamentosus, and the female's tail is pretty much the same in all these Dicrossus species.
The two I got have similar plain-looking tails at the moment, they're not yet fully grown and may have lost some finnage in shipping. However, there's a big difference in the patterning of the dorsal fin (like on my filamentosus) and they're acting like a pair, so I hope they are!

Mol_PMB

The D.warzeli are getting pretty interested in each other, a little friendly chasing and displaying, much the same sort of thing I've seen before with the D.filamentosus. Hopefully this is a good sign.

They have a choice of spawning sites including plant leaves, bogwood, slate or coconut caves based on the preferences of my D.filamentosus that have spawned previously in such places.

Attachments

• D_warzeli_pair_2.jpg
    D_warzeli_pair_2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 551
  • D_warzeli_pair_3.jpg
    D_warzeli_pair_3.jpg
    777.8 KB · Views: 583
  • D_warzeli_pair_4.jpg
    D_warzeli_pair_4.jpg
    588.9 KB · Views: 559
  • D_warzeli_pair_5.jpg
    D_warzeli_pair_5.jpg
    360.2 KB · Views: 520

Chromedome

5 Year Member
I would love to find this in the US. Last time I saw this species, it was an undescribed "Crenicara" back in 1974. I have a photo of two males scanned from slide. The fish was bred by James K. Langhammer around that time. I do not recall details of the breeding, though.

Attachments

• Dicrossus sp 1974.JPG
    Dicrossus sp 1974.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 618

Mol_PMB

Thanks - that's really interesting to see the old photo - long before they were formally described.

Mol_PMB

So, take II. I came back from a few days away over the bank holiday to find my male dead, so I have managed to get another one today. I hope this attempt is more successful!

Phil O'Sofical

Hi.

I was working in the North last week and so, partly on your earlier recommendation, I paid a visit to Aqualife Leyland. Had thought I might also buy the D. Warzeli but ended up buying a pair of Taeniacara Candida instead. It was a long journey home but they are now settling well in their new tank.

Incidentally, I already have a few D. Filamentosus which are consistently spawning though I've yet to get any of the eggs to the fry stage.

Anyway, thanks for the recommendation... I'm sure I will visit Leyland again the next time I'm in the area.

Cheers,
Phil

SpotOn88

Hi

Gorgeous and very rare. I've got 6 of these myself.. 4 definite males even though still juveniles so keeping my fingers crossed that one of the other 2 is a female

Did your pair, if that's what they were, spawn?

I should point out that you actually have 2 Dicrossus Foirni, not Warzeli.. but they are essentially sister species (I believe they are being imported under the wrong name - it's quite easy to distinguish the two if you know what to look for)

All the best

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonaldStype

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….