• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Providing nutrients to the planted tank while maintaining low TDS

aarhud

5 Year Member
Hello,

I'm trying my hand at a planted tank. The main plants are anubias, swords, cypts, and a few floaters. Will adding osmocate plus DIY root tabs increase my TDS? I read on PlantedTank.net that the root tabs leach into the water column with time.

The tank is a display tank, but I would still like breeding to occur. The fry won't make it, but I enjoy watching the process unfold. I'm keeping Apistogramma gibbiceps.

Water from the tap reads:
pH -6.5
kH and gH- 3
300 micros

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
The main plants are anubias, swords, cypts, and a few floaters.
With these plants you can just feed them via the "Duckweed Index". Details are toward the bottom of this thread <"http://www.apistogramma.com/forum/threads/daphnia.12707/">
Will adding osmocate plus DIY root tabs increase my TDS? I read on PlantedTank.net that the root tabs leach into the water column with time.....
Yes, the root tabs will leach ions into the water column. Even though they are slow, or controlled, release fertilisers the rate of nutrient release is quicker in warm wet conditions. This is fine for terrestrial plants where growth is quickest when warmth and water are available, but in our tanks it is warm and wet all the time.
Water from the tap reads:
pH -6.5
kH and gH- 3
300 micros
The water is quite "salty" all ready.

cheers Darrel

MickeM

5 Year Member
Hi ApistoJohn...+ all..
When you say "dirt"... Do you mean some soil-product bought from a store or "soil" from your/a garden ???
(Some people start planted tanks with "earth-soil" at the bottom..taken from nature/their garden..)

ApistoJohn

When I said dirt I meant miracle grow organic potting soil. If you use from a garden make sure it doesn't have fertilizers in it. Also to be clear I have the dirt capped with gravel. I do this because its for the plants and its not messy. Some people with a biotope style tank will have just soil on the bottom that's not what I'm referring to.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….