• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Male Agassizii Not Interested in Females

mwwade33

Hey Guys,

A few weeks ago I bought a couple of female Agassiziis from a LFS. Despite developing ich when I first got them, they are now healthy and doing very well in my 38G aquarium. The issue I am having is that the male that I have pays very little attention to them. I have never once seen him flare is fins towards them or even give them a little chase. With my other set of females that I had (they got ich a few months ago when I went on a trip over a long weekend and I didn't catch it until it was too late) this male was always trying to court them. I'm starting to wonder if my females are really Agassiziis or if that would even make a difference in his behavior towards them. He pays less attention to them than he does the tetras in the tank. I just feel that it's very unusual.

female.jpg

female2.jpg

male2.jpg

Male.jpg

mwwade33

I find it hard to believe that out of 93 views no one has an opinion or thought on this matter.

gerald

5 Year Member
We're all as stumped as you are. Adult male Apistos almost always react in some way to any new Apisto that appears in their tank. Unless he's sick or stressed in some way, or if the females are too small and young to elicit a response, I cant think of any other reasons he would ignore them. Even if they are not aggies, I still think he would react ... they look close enough.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
From what little I can see (the photos of the 'females; are not good at all) I don't think they are aggies. They look like the have some kind of cross-stripes in the caudal, something female aggies never have.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonaldStype

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….